Chapter 39

You heard Loki's roar of anger, rage, pain as Sera took off out the window with you in her talons. You struggled in her grip, but she was a dragonand wasn't keen on listening to anyone. Even you. "Sera!! Put me down!" You yelled at her as you flew over the city.

Loki couldn't fly to follow you.

You didn't even care right now if Sera dropped you. You could summon your broom and save yourself.

You didn't, couldn't, trust Sera in this mood.

Not when her entire mood was 'kill all the humans'.

/Sera, put me down!/ You ordered again, figuring she couldn't hear you over the wind as she flew. You recognized landmarks across the city as the dragon flew.

You distinctly did not like flying when you weren't in control and knew now why Loki hated it so much. That was a thought for later. You had to figure out how to calm Sera down.

Before she did something unconscionable.

You knew your duty if you didn't get through to her in time.

You didn't want to have to do that duty again.

But you would.

/Y/N!/ Loki called to you.

/We're still in the air. I'm alright. I'll let you know when we land. I don't know what's wrong with Sera/ you told Loki quickly as you nauseatingly watched the city go by beneath you. Sera had a firm grip around your waist, but was holding you so you were facing straight down to the ground, which was terrifying when you couldn't move and were at the dragon's mercy. It was a good thing she liked you.

She finally landed on top of the Avengers tower, but didn't let you go until she had carried you inside, still caught in her claws. "Sera, please, let me go!" You pleaded with her. "We're home. We're safe now!" You begged.

/We're back at the tower/ you told Loki.

But you were too late. Sera had thrown up shields around the entire tower. Shields you couldn't break out of until your magic was stronger from your ordeal and shields Loki couldn't break into. Her magic was strong and so unlike his that he wouldn't be able to break in.

You could feel that no one was in the tower. They were trapped outside, just as you were trapped within.

And this was the only safe place in the city if Sera went completely out of control.

Sera finally set you down just inside the building, setting you safely on your feet. You breathed a sigh of relief. She hadn't done anything too terrible yet. Maybe killing all the witch hunters was technically bad, but forgivable for what they'd done to you, for how they'd hurt her by hurting you.

But if she started hurting innocents.

You couldn't let her hurt innocents.

"Sera, please, listen to me," you begged the too silent dragon. She leaned down and nuzzled you, proving to herself that you were alright. "I'm safe now, Sera. I'm alright, I'm safe," you reassured her, reaching up to pet her muzzle. "It's alright, my sweet, my soul sister, everything's alright," you cooed to her, petting her and stroking her scaled nose, scratching the spot under her jaw that she particularly loved having scratched.

Sera nuzzled you again, trilling happily. You were safe. She could relax some. You were safe and shielded in the tower. Especially with the two of you alone and no one able to get through her shielding. Or for you to escape.

She was holding you captive here.

You would make some pun about the princess in the dragon guarded tower.

But you weren't a princess

And no prince was coming to rescue you.

Ok, that wasn't true. A prince was definitely coming to rescue you.

But what would he be able to do against a dragon.

What could any of you?

You had a chance once your powers replenished in full, once your black jewel was refilled with excess magic.

You prayed you didn't need it. Prayed to every deity that might listen, including your Loki, that she could be reasoned with.

"It is alright now, soul sister," she agreed, her voice warm and comforting. "You are safe and I will make sure you stay that way," she promised.

"Sera! Sera what do you mean?" You asked her frantically, your voice edging on panic. You couldn't help her unless you knew what she was planning.

She nuzzled you again. "The humans hurt you, my soul sister. They stole you away from me, made you afraid, hurt you, branded you, and tried to make you do what they said!" She told you.

"They were. And you killed them Sera. The witch hunters are evil and you killed them and stopped them. They can't hurt anyone ever again. Your job it done!" You insisted.

She shook her head firmly. "No. The other humans said you're bad because you are mated to Loki. They want to throw you in jail or worse," she told you firmly, a growl behind her words.

"It's just talk, Sera. They aren't actually going to hurt me," you insisted.

She growled. "They threaten what is mine,"

"Sera, no, it's not like that," you promised. She snarled. "What about Loki? What about our friends? Thor who is warm and full of cuddles? Natasha who feeds you fish and coos at you in Russian? Tony who we can throw out the window for fun and he makes the most amusing noises? Bruce who will pet you for hours because your purrs calm him? Clint who climbs around the air ducts with you? Cap who consults you on plans, because even if you don't have answers for him, he likes talking things out? What about our family, Sera?" You asked her, desperate for her to see some good in humanity. "The silly Doctor Magician who was so amusing when he realized you weren't a cat? The witches and littles at the academy?" There were people here who needed defending. The littles. She had to agree that the students needed defending.

She growled and paced, considering your words.

There was hope.

She was considering.

She was listening.

She looked at you again and patted your head with one of her front paws, an indulgent movement. "The humans must perish. But, I will spare your friends. For you, soul sister."

"SERA, NO!" You screamed as she leapt out the window, disappearing on her mission.