Chapter 1

(Photo above is Aurora)
Chapter 1

"I feel horrible Aurora" Elle says as we pull away from the hug.

Elle is my best friend ever since childhood. Her father used to be our pack's beta until he passed away. 

Elle and I were very close. We were like sisters almost. Even though my father didn't let me out much, not even to their place. We still kept in contact somehow through letters at school or just quick talks on our walks home. I never understood why my father didn't allow her to come over but I never questioned it, because if I questioned anything I would get a slap across my face. 

That was until today. 

You see, just last week she had found her mate. Eddie from one of the southern packs. I had wished that her mate would be from my pack but, the Moon Goddess must have had other plans for her and her mate and I had no say in the matter. Still, I was happy for Elle. She deserved to be happy with her mate. 

"It's okay, you have to be with your mate Elle, the Moon Goddess saved you up for him," I reassure her by squeezing her arm softly and she smiles.  "And your father would be so proud of you" I whisper as we both hug for what seemed like the hundredth time.  

The sudden sound of a honk made us both jump. 

"Someone is in a hurry to get you back to his place and give you some loving!!" I said with a smile. 

Elle gave me a look and I knew what she was going to say. 

"You will find your mate soon Aurora, I know you will! And when you do please reach out! Maybe we can go on double dates or something!" Elle said as she fought the tears back.

"Of course Elle, I will reach out, I promise," I replied back almost in a whisper. 

Elle whipped her tears away and let go of my hand as she starts to walk away.  I watch from the porch as her mate helps her get in the Jeep. Elle waves goodbye before putting the window up as they drive away, leaving a cloud of dust behind. 

 My mom comes out to the porch and leans closer to me. We both watch as the Jeep disappears into the distance. She puts her hands on my shoulder and gives me a half-smile. The kind of smile she gave me when my father and her would get into arguments, and like always, my mother would lose them or get smacked. 

At times I wondered if they were true mates because my father would make my mother's life miserable. She would go days without saying a word to anyone. 

"What is it, mom?" I asked concerned, 

"Let's go to your father's study, he wishes to speak to you," she said before she pulled me inside the house.

"About what?" I asked her again but she completely shut me out.

We walked together in silence to my father's study.

My father didn't even look up to us when we walked in. The office smelled of alcohol and cigarettes. My dad always smoked, and he didn't care that it bothered me or my mom. The smell was so strong that I scrunched up my nose trying to not smell any of this mess. I was starting to feel a headache because of the smoke and smell. 

"Sit" he ordered sternly and I did as he says. He seemed to be in one of those foul moods that he would always get when things were not going how he wanted them to be.

"Your nineteen birthday is in a week, and you still haven't found your mate" he stated and I nodded nervously. 

It was true, any she-wolves my age would be mated by now, and I have yet to find my mate. All of my friends had found their mates. Except for me.