16: FREE FALL

The next day, Kazzandra woke up very comfortably. She didn't hear any unnecessary sound and she's feeling a little bit better than last night. She thinks the warm bath did it. Joshua was right. It helped a lot with her stiff muscles. And right now, she just wishes she could lay on bed like this the whole day. But she can't.

Kazzandra pulled herself out of bed and walked towards the huge window. She was half-expecting to see Joshua outside — half-expecting because she doesn't hear any noises.

But she was dejected when she saw no one. The ground was empty. Even his car or truck was not there. And the sun was already glaring and hot.

Wait, what time is it?

A bit disoriented, she turned to check the old clock beside her bed and she was surprised to see how long she was asleep. It was past 9 am in the morning! And she was supposed to cook breakfast!

Shit! Why Joshua didn't wake her up?

She immediately hid that thought.

No, it wasn't his task to wake me up. She ought to wake up early. But maybe she was sound asleep that she didn't even heard his car's roaring engine like her first morning there.

She hurriedly moved away from the window and looked for the slippers Joshua lend her last night.

Ugh! I'm so dead! Joshua will surely rant on her again. Shucks! Just by thinking about Joshua's frowning face sends her to edge.

She quickly padded downstairs. She didn't even bother to visit the loo to wash her face or brush her teeth, she just tightly wrap the sleep-in silk robe she was wearing and hurriedly run down. Her hair was still in complete disarray.

She was panting when she reached the kitchen. Her eyes wandered around, looking for a particular angry face, but all she saw was an empty kitchen. Maybe Joshua was already outside and supervising his men.

Did he already eat? He might be angry again since she didn't cook for breakfast.

But she finds it strange, because she doesn't expect him to be like this. The Joshua she know would have pounded on her door, demanding a work done — which meant her cooking food for him. But he just lets her sleep almost for the whole morning.

Is that odd? Or it's just her? Or maybe Joshua's getting soft for her?

She was about to get back upstairs when her eyes caught the food cover that was at the middle of the wide dining table. Curious, she lifted it and looked inside. And she almost drooled over the dish hidden beneath it.

Did Joshua cook them?

He did . . . didn't he? He just cooked instead of waking her up.

She frowned thoughtfully, carefully thinking about the warm bath he prepared for her last night. And the stunt he pulled in the bathroom. And he didn't have contented, he even waited for her dinner. He even forced me to wear his slippers, and then surprised me with a compliment, which was the last thing she expected from him yesterday after all that happened.

Between those lines were blurred. Where did things started to shift?

Her stomach made a sound, seeking for attention. Instead of thinking about Joshua's weird deeds, she just pulled a chair for her to eat. Joshua must've been experiencing flu or something for his sudden strange behavior.

The smell of newly brewed coffee filled her nose, and it was so nostalgic. It made her think about the breakfasts she always shares with her brothers and their wives.