17: POLAR

MIA KAZZANDRA's POV

The water splashed and rippled as we hit the surface. I immediately felt the coldness of the water. I struggled to swim, because Joshua's weight was pushing me under. And I'm not expecting the deepness of the water.

I hurriedly swam up and I felt my elbow hit something. I knew it was Joshua, and I was worried if I smacked his face or his shoulder.

I gasped for air when I resurfaced later. Feeling guilty and worried, I wiped my face and frantically scanned the pond for a sign of Joshua. Did I hit his nose? Did I knock him to unconsciousness?

That's just brilliant, Mia Kazzandra, I thought to myself. You've finally killed the vampire.

I waited for him to emerge. But as seconds ticked past, his head didn't surface through the water and I was growing anxious. What if he's unconscious?

I looked down at the clear water and tried to spot him somewhere, but I didn't see him. He's nowhere under the waters.

Shucks! He might pass out and his body was at the deepest part! How will I save him?

I was one y panic mood when I heard his low voice behind me.

"Don't move."

Relief washed over me, but it was washed off when I sensed the warning on his voice.

"Stay very still." He whispered behind me, his breath warming the back of my ears. My body instantly stiffened, not because he told me to stay still, but because of his hard large hand that was resting on my shoulder.

"Why?" I asked him, wondering how close he was to me.

"You have . . . something on your hair."

"What is it?" My voice shook from alarm. She can't help but to think what might it be. I imagined worms, or toads, or my worst fear — insects. But it's impossible. This pond is very clean . . . right?

"I said, don't move." Joshua gritted as he held my shoulders when I was about to reach for y hair. I felt so scared then. I really don't like being restrained.

"What the hell is it?"

"A grasshopper."

Shit! "Get it out!"

He chuckled. "Stop flapping your arms or you'll disturb it." He said and he moved closer to me even ore. But his nearness only made my heart ran twice faster.

"Don't move you will make him jump down."

"What?!" The hell with this man?! Was he trying to give me a heart attack? And why does he seem to be enjoying this than helping me? "What's so funny?" I asked infuriatedly.

"Nothing." He said nonchalantly and then I felt his fingers touched my hair, removing something.

"Is it gone? Is it?" I asked when I saw him swim to the bank.

He touched the edge of the pond and chuckled again. "Relax. It's just a leaf. Nothing to freak out about."

My jaw dropped exasperatedly. Leaf?! It was just a freaking leaf?! And did he just scare me?!

I flashed him an angry glance. I was ready to throw a fit for what he did, but it died down when I realized what he just did.

He just played a prank on me. And instead of being mad, I suddenly find it amusing.

So it seems that Dracula knows how to play a child's game.

I know I already told myself that I wouldn't, or shouldn't, care about Joshua, or that he clearly resented my presence in his farm. But when his granite-like features softened and watching him like that sent a shaft of pleasure inside me.