20: NEED YOU

MIA KAZZANDRA's POV

Joshua parked his Bugatti Veyron at the very edge of the parking area where a few cars were lined up already. I glanced at his hand that was holding the clutch as he tugged it over, and I wondered how those distended veins feel if I trace them.

The engine died in slow hum and then silence fell. Well, we're here.

I let out a shaky breath, not sure if it's for excitement or nervousness, which was ridiculous. I don't really feel nervous with the parties I've attended before. So why do I suddenly feel nervous tonight?

I just brushed it away and looked over at Joshua. He was looking at me in silence. Even though his face was hidden in the shadow of the dark, I could still see the faint light of his eyes. I smiled at him, hiding the fact that his gaze was actually getting me more anxious.

"Can you walk okay with those shoes on?" He asked gruffly, nodding at my knee high boots.

I shot him a sassy look that spelled each and every letter of my name. "Don't worry about them, Josh. I can perfectly do anything in these heels."

He just shook his head and opened his door. I also did the same.

When I got out, it was so dark now that the car's headlight was out and I had to squint my eyes to see where we are. Did we really get to the right place? Why can't I see the gathering from here?

I was about to ask him if there really was a party tonight but as soon as we stepped around the thick and overgrown shrubs, my voice got stuck in my throat.

Lanterns. There were colored lanterns placed along the entrance of the house and around the garden fences, brightening up the whole yard. It looked like fireflies — big fireflies dancing in colorful lights. It was beautiful.

"Looks like the party just started." Joshua said as he eyes every person his eyes would land upon.

There were people — too many of them I couldn't count — prowling outside the house. From where we are standing, I could hear the soft murmurs and laughter of the people gathered around.

Unease crept underneath my skin and I distracted myself from playing with the dream catcher in my finger. I shouldn't have been here. I mean, I don't even know a single soul inside that house. This was out of my element. This is different from the ones I'm used to.

From where I'm from, people hold champagne to keep them away from small talks during a party. No hearty laughter, no happy faces — just all indifference and fake smiles. Women dress up to show off how better looking they were from among the rest just as how men wore a tux to make an impression. Diamonds, gold, and all other brands of wealth were being flaunted and then, there are other things like politics and business.

That I could do. Stand in a strange crowd and be the princess in a façade.

Here, it's nothing like that. Everyone in there is a family. And I am not one of them.

I was so sucked up by my own pensive thoughts I didn't notice I was just standing there unmoving until Joshua slipped his large steady hand in mine and held me in a firm grip. My heartbeat faltered as I turned my head and looked at him.

"Let's go inside before you take off and run."

I scoffed, irritated with the fact that he's right. But I won't tell him that. "Don't be ridiculous. Why would I do that?"

He looked at me unconvincingly. "Believe me, I know the face."

"The face of what, exactly?"

"You're having second thoughts."