~Chapter 20~ It Doesn't Matter Who I Am ~End~

"Inside my mind I have killed you over and over countless times. Because you're the one who killed my one and only friend. Because you're someone I can never forgive." Dog Bird reveals then I draw my sword, ready to strike. "Every time I met you, I couldn't kill you. Even though I knew for certain that you were the king, I wanted to believe that you weren't." Dog Bird tells him.

Ji Dwi's eyes tear up as he tosses his sword to the side and my eyes widen, I'm not going to lose anybody else.

"If this has to end with my death, then cut me down." Ji Dwi tells him as I start making my way down the stairs. "But does it really end only if I die? How many more do you have to kill for it to end? If you kill the royal council and the noblemen, will it end?" Ji Dwi questions then he shakes his head. "No. Someone will fill that seat and do the same thing again. Then whom are you going to kill?"

Ji Dwi and Dog Bird stare each other down as I walk closer, steadily as I see the sword by Ji Dwi's neck, slowly move away.

"I wanted to change Silla with you. Because there would no longer be a bone rank system, I thought that there would be no more loss of lives. Beyond the tiny Silla kingdom, I wanted to dream of unifying the three kingdoms. But if this means the end, then cut me down." Ji Dwi repeats.

Dog Bird huffs as he swings his sword in front of Ji Dwi, cutting off his King's bracelet, cutting his hand in the mean time with blood dripping onto the floor.

"With this, there is no longer any debt between you and me." Dog Bird tells him.

"Does it end with this?" Ji Dwi asks him with tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Because you and I have different paths to take." Dog Bird answers then I gulp.

"Then when I meet you again, you would be my enemy." Ji Dwi chokes out then Dog Bird turns and leaves.

"Ji Dwi..." I call out.

I run over to him and stand in front of him, examining his bleeding hand. I tear off part of my uniform and wrap it around his hand then brush the top of it with my thumb.

"I'm sorry I didn't step in." I apologize then Ji Dwi shakes his head.

"There was nothing you could do about it." He assures me then he caresses my cheek with his uninjured hand. "Even if you did, you had risk of injuring yourself and your child, I'm not allowing that to happen to you." He adds then he plants his lips on my forehead, softly.

~~~~~~~~

"Abdicate? Did you say abdicate?" Ji So questions Ji Dwi.

"You must so that I can get power."

"Before that, marry Sook-Myung."

"Is leaving that position that difficult?" He questions.

"Do you still see me only as a mother who covets the throne?" Ji So questions then she takes a deep breath. "To protect the the throne you must be cold-blooded. The king must be able to end a friend's life." Ji So tells him then my eyes widen.

"Wait-" I start off.

"A king with ridiculous compassion will throw his country into devastation in the end, cause of death of all people. But, a cold-hearted king will kill when he can kill the least amount of people most quickly and cruelly. If you do that, there is no need to kill more." Ji So reasons then I step in front of Ji Dwi.

"No, that is something I will not accept!" I argue as Ji Dwi puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Jae-Eun-" he starts off then I smack his hand off of me.