chapter •prologue

In the beautiful field where the sun shined its golden ray on, there were four children of different ages. Mary Boleyn, Anne Boleyn, the eldest of the children, George Boleyn, and Catherine Seymour. They chased each other through the tall field.

"Wait for me!" Catherine's soft voice calls out to the others. Being the youngest of them, she did her best to chase after. The Boleyn's parents watched and walked with the children in sight.

"I received a request for marriage today, for Anne, from the Carey family. William, their eldest son." Thomas Boleyn informed his wife.

"Oh, but that's wonderful." Elizabeth Boleyn says.

"I turned it down." Thomas adds. Elizabeth's head turns to look at her husband quickly in shock. "Offered them Mary instead."

The laughter of children was heard loudly to the Boleyn parents as Thomas continues.

"Everyone improves the standing of their family with their daughters. I think Anne can do a lot better than a merchant's son." Elizabeth lets a scoff escape.

"And Mary can't?" She asks. "I think you underestimate her."

"Oh, no, that's not true. I think she's the kinder of the two. Quite possibly the fairer. To get ahead in this world you need more than fair looks and a kind heart." Thomas says.

The children run and run in their little race. Anne stops running only to be knocked down with her siblings. Catherine ran so fast that she trips over the others and falls head first. She lets out a wail of cries that allowed everyone to know she got hurt. The Boleyn children stand up and walk over the the Seymour. Mary crouches down and rubs her back.

"There, there, Kitty." Mary says soothingly. Anne wraps an arm around the youngest child and rocks back and forth. Soon the wails stopped and replaced with sniffs. The comfort of the children was all it took.

"Well done, children." Thomas calls.

I KNOW IT'S A SHORT CHAPTER BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO CONTINUE TO THE WEDDING.