chapter •banquet

Catherine walked along side Mary into the room. Ladies and gentlemen dressed up nicely. Mary had her hair pinned up with a dress that revealed her shoulders, no doubt to catch the attention of the King.

Catherine dressed much differently. Her hair was down and her green dress covered everything that should be. Chrysanthemums flowers as the design of her dress. Many gentlemen of the court had their eyes on her, but she had paid them no mind.

Courtly music played and courtiers danced together. Catherine and Mary walked pass the them. Catherine found Sir Boleyn and bowed to him, she continued to walk.

"Catherine." She heard her name be called. Norfolk stood in front of her with his hand out. "We shall dance." He said it as if it was not a request, but a demand. Catherine, not wanting to anger him, took his hand and let herself be led with the other. He roughly placed his hand on her waist. It didn't feel like he was leading her, but instead, controlling her.

"How is court life treating you, sweet Catherine?" Norfolk asked, no hint of emotion in his voice.

"Very well, my lord." Catherine says. He lifts her up and dropped her down as part of the dance.

"Later I will be calling you to my chamber to talk alone, be prepared by then." Norfolk says without warning. Catherine looks at him with wide eyes.

"That is improper, my Lord. We can not be alone together." Catherine says. Norfolk grabbed a hold of her arm and squeezed it tight.

"Do not disobey me, girl." Norfolk hisses. Catherine sighs and nods, the action let Norfolk release his grip. They continue dancing when there was a loud thud noise, the King had walked in. He looked around, looking for Mary. Catherine looked around for Anne and saw that she was upset. The King had not once looked at her. The King stood in front of Mary and she gave a bow. The King leaned in and whispered something in her ear. He walks away and Mary stares after him.

Catherine stood outside the chamber door of Norfolk. She gave a strong knock at the door.

"Come in." She heard a faint voice from inside the room. Catherine pushes it open and walks in. Norfolk sat comfortably in a chair by the fire.

"Catherine, come and sit." Norfolk says. Catherine walked in closer and went to grab one of the table chairs. "No, not there. Here, by my feet." Norfolk instructs her. Catherine hesitated, slowly walking forward before sitting down. She shuffled away from him, but Norfolk grabbed her arm to keep her in place.

"Are you comfortable? Would you like a pillow?" He asks her softly, caressing her hand gently. Catherine wanted to pull away, but also didn't want to anger him.

"No, thank you, my Lord." Catherine murmured. Norfolk sat back and looked at the fire.

"I have asked you here because you are now a young woman of marriage age." Norfolk says.

"Yes, my Lord." She confirms.

"As you know, it is your family that decided who you will marry, not my sister's husband." Norfolk says, mentioning her family and the Seymours.

"I know, my Lord."

"You should know that I have spoken to your father about this."

"My Lord, why have you asked me here for?" Catherine finally asks. Norfolk grabbed her hands again and gave them a kiss.

"I have asked for your hand in marriage. Your father has accepted."

DOES IT NEED CORRECTIONS? PROBABLY.