chapter •off to the country

...

Catherine cradles Mary's son in her own chamber as Mary sleeps. He was named Henry and he was a beautiful child. He bore Mary's lovely eyes and fair hair color. Nothing from the King except for his name.

A maid by the name of Dorcas walks forward and bows.

"My lady?"

"What is it, Dorcas?" Catherine asks not looking up.

"Lady Blount and her son are here." Dorcas announces. Catherine looks up finally and nods.

"Let them in." Catherine says, standing up gently. Bessie and Henry FitzRoy walk in. Catherine nods to the little boy and Bessie bows to Catherine but Catherine shakes her head.

"You don't have to do that. You never have to do that with me, Bessie." Catherine reminds. Bessie smiles and nods. A year at court and Bessie and Catherine became the bestest of friends. Catherine looks at FitzRoy and sits down to be of eye level to him.

"Would you like to see the baby, Harry?" Catherine asks him using the nickname she gave him. FitzRoy looks at his mother and steps forward when Bessie nods. FitzRoy looks at the baby and pets his head softly.

"He looks funny." FitzRoy exclaims. Catherine laughs softly. Bessie shakes her head and smiles.

"Yes, I suppose he does, but all babies are like that." Catherine agrees. "Would you like to hold him?"

FitzRoy nods and is led to the bed where he is sat in the middle and the baby is placed in him arms. Catherine had Dorcas watch over them. Catherine walks over to Bessie and leads her to the the table to sit.

"How are you, Bessie?" Catherine asks. Bessie looks to her son to see him gently rocking his half-brother. She looks down at her hands.

"Not well." Bessie whispers.

"What is wrong?" Catherine asks.

"My husband threats to send me to a nunnery. He wants nothing to do with me now. He has told me he only married me because it was His Majesty's wish." Bessie confesses. She leans closer with tears pricking from her eyes. "He will have my son be separated from me as punishment."

"I am so sorry, Bessie." Catherine says. Problems seem to pile up with no sign of resolving them. What can she do to help her friend? What can she do? "Can't you divorce him?"

"Where will I go? They will take my son from me the moment I am a divorcee and will never let me see him again. I will be sent far away." Bessie says. A few years well up in her eyes and she hastily wipes them away in case anyone sees, especially FitzRoy. Catherine puts her hands onto Bessie's.

"Bessie, I wish for you to have a comfortable life with your son." Catherine says. She takes a deep breath and smiles. "When I was made a duchess, I was granted land and a castle. If you wish it, you can take Henry with you and go to Bolton castle. You'll have a comfortable living and have servants take care of you. That way, you won't be separated from each other."

"His Majesty would never let me leave with my son." Bessie says with her head down in saddest.

"I will handle it, Bessie."

"Are you sure? I don't want you getting into trouble because of my problems."

"You are the first friend I have made here at court. Surely, I would have been gone by now if it wasn't for you. I will do my best."

"Doing your best is enough for me." Bessie says. They stand up and hug, Bessie whispering thanks. When they separate, FitzRoy calls out,

"Mama, I don't feel good."

Bessie and her son had left. Baby Henry was back in her arms and sleeping peacefully.

The door to Catherine's chamber opens and Anne struts in. Catherine sighs and motions to Dorcas to take the baby.

"Is there something you needed Anne?" Catherine asks emotionlessly. Anne walks forward slowly. She did look at the baby and a wave of guilt did wash over her, but quickly ignored it.

"Mary will be sent to the country soon with her son. It's for the best." Anne says.

"The best for who? Mary or you?" Catherine asks. Anne stays silent. Catherine looks away with a shake of her head. "He'll only do to you what he has done to Mary."

"Never. I'll make sure he understands I'm a greater thing by far. That he can never have me until he makes me a far greater offer." Anne brags. Catherine thought to herself of that that offer could be? Marriage to a Duke after?

"You'll never get Henry Percy back, if that's what you mean." Catherine says.

"That's not what I mean." Anne says before her eyes burn with anger. "And don't ever mention his name to me again. I'll never forget how Mary betrayed me."

"If that's what you think, fine. Tell yourself that."

"I did, Kitty. Every day that I was in exile." Anne says.

"You are childish, Anne. He will do the same to you sooner or later. Even if you yourself have a son, he will be dubbed the title of bastard. In line for the throne behind Princess Mary, the Duke of Richmond, and Mary's son." Catherine says. Anne giggles.

"Mary and her bastard are already out of the way. As for Lady Blount and her son, I'll take care of them later."

"And what do you mean by that?" Catherine asks in worry. Anne caresses Catherine face.

"Don't worry, Kitty. I won't harm them, I know how much you care for them. They'll just simply be sent far away."

"The King wouldn't allow his eldest living son to be sent far from him. Not even for you." Catherine states. Anne gets in her face and talks lowly,

"Don't underestimate me and what I could do, Kitty. I could easily have you sent from court if I wanted it." Anne says. Anne turns away and walks out the door. Catherine sits down and puts her head in her hands.