chapter •the hunt

After the banquet, the King and Anne went for a walk in the gardens with the rest of the Boleyns following. Catherine decided to stay in the library and read for a while, til Mary, George, or Anne came to find her.

She read on the history of rulers years before she was even born. Rulers of England, France, Spain, Germany, Scotland and many more. She was so engrossed in the book that she never heard the heavy doors open. Walking in was the King himself.

He noticed Catherine, seeing her fair colored hair and in her hands was a book.

"What are you reading?" Henry asks. He didn't think she would jump in surprise and back away. Catherine did just that, ready to yell at the person who scared her so, but then realized who it was.

"Your Majesty!" Catherine crouched into a bow, not dare to look up. Henry chuckle quietly and motions for her to stand. Catherine stands but kept her eyes down. "Forgive me, Your Majesty. You startled me."

"Who are you?" The King asked.

"Catherine Seymour, Your Majesty." Catherine bows and didn't look at the King on the eyes.

"Seymour? What are you doing here?" Henry asks. He say down in the chair Catherine previous sat in. She takes a deep breath.

"I am the ward of Sir Thomas and Lady Elizabeth, Your Majesty." Henry made a noice, he looks over her. Neither said anything.

"I've known many Catherines in my life. Is there something else I can call you?" The King asks her. That's when Catherine dared to look up.

"People call me Kitty. If it pleases you, you may call me Kitty as well."

"Yes, it pleases me." Henry says and asks, "Will you be joining the hunt?"

"No, Your Majesty. I-I cannot ride a horse." Catherine stutters.

"Why is that?" Henry asks in curiosity and motions for Catherine to sit. Catherine did do and sat down in the chair next to Henry.

"When I was a child, I went with Anne and George to the stables. I wasn't told that a wild horse was brought in and I approached it. It scared me so and almost killed me if stablemen hadn't got to it first. I've been afraid to get on one ever since." Catherine explains. Henry nods in understanding the situation.

"I suppose that is a valid reason, but don't be afraid to get on a horse. If you'd like, I will have someone there to guard and protect will you try." Henry offers. Catherine gives a smile.

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

"You may call me Henry." The King offers once again. Catherine didn't know whether it was an order or not.

"Is that your command?"

"No, it's a choice." Henry said softly. He looks down at the book. "Now, tell me what you are reading?"

Before Catherine could explain, the doors open again. A servant walks in and noticed the King.

"Pardon me, Your Majesty. Lady Catherine, the Duke of Norfolk asks to speak with you." Catherine was about to stand when Henry grabbed her hand.

"No. Kitty was just about to tell me about the book. Tell Norfolk she won't be going." Henry orders the servant.

"Yes, Your Majesty." The servant bows and leaves. Catherine looks at Henry. She was relieved not to speak to Norfolk.

"Good morning, Kitty." Catherine looks around and sees George already on his own horse. It was the next day, the day of the hunt.

"Good morning, George." Catherine smiles at the man she considers a big brother.

"Where are you off to?" He asks.

"To find Anne and help her on her horse. If she is going to impress the King, then she must get on her horse gracefully." Catherine teases before walking away.

"Morning, Lady Catherine." Stafford greets. Catherine smiles at him.

"Good morning, Stafford. Have you seen Anne?" Catherine asks. Stafford nods that points to where Anne stood with Mary and their father. She thanks Stafford and walks over to them. The ladies talk for a bit before Anne and Catherine walk. Catherine accompanied Anne to make sure she was prepared. 

"Good morning, Anne. Good morning, Kitty." Henry nods at the women. Anne looked at Catherine who bowed to the King.

"Good morning, Your Grace." Anne says back.

"Who will you ride with?" Henry asks Anne.

"On my own, Your Grace."

"On your own?"

"There's a new saddle now, which allows this." Anne says just as her mare was brought to her. Catherine and a stableman helped her on and made sure she didn't fall.

"But with no man to hold onto, how do you propose to stay on the horse?" Henry asks.

"As you do, Your Grace. With my thighs." Anne says seductively. Catherine held back a giggle when Anne looks at her with a smirk and seeing Henry's expression. Henry looks at Catherine and nods at her.

"Away!" He yells at the hunting party. Catherine quickly returns to Mary's side and watches Anne and the hunting party leave.