chapter •I am Katherine

...

In a bright new day, in the Blackfriars monastery, the courtroom had been filled with the country's highest-ranking bishops. Outside the room Anne and Mary listen in.

Mary heared the crowds cheering for Queen Katherine with screams of support and affection, Long live Queen Katherine, they say. Our one true Queen, they say.

Mary looks anxious and turns to Anne

"The crowds are with her." Mary warns.

"The crowds have no vote." Anne spits. "And the bishops that do are in Wolsey's pocket."

Anne watches as the Queen enters court. Catherine followed behind with the rest of the Queen's ladies. She held the hand of the Queen in comfort. The action made Anne's blood boil. The Queen sees Anne, and starts walking directly towards the Boleyn women.

"God, she's coming towards us." Anne stands straight and looks straight ahead.

Catherine walked along side Her Majesty, the Queen. Katherine held tightly to the hand Kitty offered.

"My daughter is the one true legitimate heir, and I am a true, legitimate wife. God is on my side." Katherine says, mostly to herself. Catherine rubs her thumb onto the back of the Queen's hand.

"Princess Mary is a legitimate daughter, Your Majesty." Catherine says. "And you are married under the eyes of God." Katherine looks at her lady, her newest friend and nods.

Queen Katherine eyes fix on Anne and Mary and walks towards then. No one stopped her, not even Catherine. When they finally reached Anne and Mary, the Queen immediately spoke.

"So, the Boleyn whores. Two former ladies of mine. Hiding in shadows." Katherine hisses."What did I do to upset you, that you should turn against me like this?"

"You failed to give England an heir." Anne dared to speak.

"And that upsets you so?" The Queen asks. Anne look at Katherine.

"What upsets the King upsets me." Queen Katherine straightens.

"How dare you!" She yells.

"Katherine, Queen of England, come into court!" The crier calls out. Catherine tried to pull the Queen away, but she did budge. The Queen's lawyers try to drag her away from Anne, but she wrenches herself free. The Queen looked straight into Anne's eyes.

"You want me to creep away and become a nun? Well, I shall not. You want me to lie before God and admit my first marriage was consummated? Well, it was not. You want me to retire and withdraw my daughter's claim as sole rightful heir to the throne? Well I shall not. Not in a thousand years, not if you crack me to within an inch of my life. I am Katherine, Queen of England, the King's one true wife, and mother of the heir to the throne. Beloved of the people, and beloved of a King you have bewitched."

Katherine turns and enters the packed courtroom. Catherine followed behind and stood in her place, but the Queen continued to walk where the KING sits, and falls onto her knees. Throughout the courtroom, people exchange looks, gasps. Catherine rushed to help the Queen up, but she didn't move and pushed her hand away.

The Queen is completely disregarding the court, Campeggio and Wolsey, and appealing directly to her husband, the King. Katherine looks into his eyes, pleading.

"My Lord, how have I offended you? For twenty years, I have been a true, obedient wife. I have loved all those whom you loved, and given you children, though it has pleased God to take them away. If there is any just cause that witness, there is none. You can allege against me, I will happily depart to my shame and dishonour, but I tell you, as God is my witness. There is none." The King sits in silence, but can barely contain his rage. Catherine kneeled beside her Queen. "So, I beg you, dear husband, to spare me this humiliation. But if you will not, and I am to be tried.."

"You are." The King hisses.

"Then let it be in a proper court and by the only authority I recognise. His holiness himself." The Queen says. An audible gasp from the court. Henry shoots a look at Wolsey.

The Queen gets to her feet, and walks out of the court, stopping only to pause by a window. The cheers from the loyal people who are waiting outside ring through the court. Wolsey stood up, through still in shock, he continues.

"Since it has pleased the Queen to absent herself from the court, the trial will simply proceed without her."

The trial begins.

The entire Boleyn family is assembled. Catherine sat by Mary and bounced Cat on her lap. Anne paces up and down. The Boleyns, minus Lady Elizabeth and Mary, glared at Catherine for what happened earlier. Norfolk stood behind Catherine and placed his large hand on the back of her neck.

"Wolsey promised the King his verdict. Instead he has humiliated him." Anne exclaims. Norfolk squeezed tightly that Catherine tried to move but was kept still.

"But they are continuing with the trial. And the Bishops will still find in the King's favour." Sir Boleyn says.

"Yes. But without the Pope's blessing, the result will seem hollow. If only the King would take matters into his own hands." Anne says in frustration.

"And do what? His only option would be to reject the Catholic Church? And his faith would never allow it." Lady Elizabeth says.

"Nor his good sense. Breaking with Rome would isolate England politically. Leave us at the mercy of the Protestants." Sir Boleyn adds.

"But the alternative is leaving this country without an heir. Failing in his duty as a King. And risking civil war." Anne stops to thinks. "Somehow I need to make him understand that it is a fair price for a legitimate heir."

Anne looks to Mary who held young Henry in her arms. "One he could hold in his arms."

Suddenly for Anne, an idea formed. She walks over and kneels to be close to young Henry. "A strong, rosy-cheeked boy."

Mary, who hasn't paid attention, looks up, sees all eyes staring at her. She looked at them, becoming suspicious

"What?" Catherine puts her arm in between Anne and young Henry and shakes her head.

"No, Anne. Do not use this boy at a pawn in your game." Catherine says is anger. She loved Henry too much to see his hurt the way Mary was. Anne looks at her and stands slowly.

"I think it's about time that you be married, Kitty. Why aren't you yet?" Anne look for the answer to Norfolk. Norfolk grunts and shakes his head.

"Everytime I bring it up with the King he dismisses it and changes the subject." Norfolk says.

"I will talk to him." Anne says smirking. Catherine didn't like it at all. Not at all. The door opens and a servant walls in. He bows and looks to Catherine.

"Your Grace, a letter from Bolton by Mistress Blount."

HI.

WHO'S THE FAN OF AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER?

I AM AND I'M READY TO WRITE A BOOK ON IT.