chapter •mary and anne

...

As Catherine sat with Mary and read with her, the sounds of footsteps enter the dark room. Catherine put her book down and stood to see who it was. A dark figure appears and it was Anne.Catherine smiles and looks at Mary. Mary, however, didn't.

"Anne." Was all Mary said, putting down her book. Anne smiles at Mary and sits on the bed and kissed Mary's hand. Catherine sat down again and was happy with this interaction. Happy that both young women were once again civil with each other like the old days. She wished things would go back to before they came to court all those months ago. Back to the country and have a peaceful life. That was but a fantasy now.

"I meant to come sooner. I'm sorry I did not. I've been kept occupied." Anne informs Mary. Understanding what Anne meant by it made Mary irritated, but didn't show it. She was jealous. The king hardly visits now and she hopes to give him a son, then he shall return to her.

"So I hear. Amusing the king." Mary says in a monotone. Anne, on the inside, was pleased with how Mary was reacting. Jealousy becomes her.

"Only that, sister. I assure you. Despite his best efforts."

"What? And not yours?" Mary asks immediately. She knew how Anne truly felt. No matter how much Catherine could remind her of the good times they had, nothing will change. In the end, the king will always come in between them.

"Mary, please don't fight." Catherine begs softly. Mary was prepared to ignore her words when Catherine placed a hand on Mary's growing belly. "It's not healthy for the baby."

Mary looks at Catherine to see a pleading look in her eyes, knowing that Catherine didn't like when she and Anne being angry with one another. Catherine knew that the baby would be a good way to keep the Boleyn girls at bay

"How is it?" Anne asks about the baby.

"The child is strong. It gives me no rest. Like his father." Mary says, implying that she will have a son. Anne ignores it and decides to criticize how her sister look. Any chances she gets.

"Do you feel as awful as you look? You know, in France no woman would allow herself to get in such a state." Anne advises.

"Why did you come, Anne, if all you desire is to torment me?" Mary asks. Catherine knew she would not be able to stop their argument, so she decides to let it play out.

"Perhaps now you know how it feels to be deceived by your sister." Anne fires at Mary.

"I did nothing." Mary murmurs. As much as Catherine wants to Anne, it was true. Mary did rat Anne out and Anne was left humiliated once more.

"You stole the King away. And then you betrayed me over Henry Percy." Anne says, betrayal in her tone but otherwise calm.

"If that's what you think, tell yourself that." Mary scoffs.

"I did sister." Anne says, composing herself. "Every day and every night I was in exile." Anne and Mary stare at each other. There is much for them to hate each other for. As one Boleyn girl's life is flourishing, another is coming to its end. Another pair of footsteps approach and a knock at the door. Catherine and Anne turn around and a steward walks in with two boxes.

"Gifts from the King." The servant says. Catherine saw the smirk on Anne's face before her hid it and nods towards Mary. She also saw how Mary lit up at the mention of King Henry.

"Give them to my sister." Anne says. The servant looks at Anne.

"It's for you, Mistress Anne. And you Lady Bolton." He says. Catherine stares at the box. For her? What for? Should she accept it?

"Me?" Anne acts surprised. She looks at Mary and then back at the servant. "Then send it back. Immediately." The servant looks at Catherine for her responds. She looks at Mary who was staring at her hands. he was upset. Catherine looks at the servant and nods towards the door, motioning for him to leave. He leaves quickly and Anne looks at Mary in disbelief. "How dare he? You see, I have your interests at heart."

"Why? Why this cruelty? You know I love him." Mary asks, eyes swollen and red. Anne leans back.

"Well, perhaps you should stop." Was all Anne says and stands up. She leaves the room, satisfied. It was Mary and Catherine alone once more. Catherine tries to touch Mary's hand, but Mary moves it away.

"Mary—"

"Get out. I wish to be alone." Mary commands. Catherine huffs in annoyance, but did so anyways. She plants a kiss on top of Mary's blonde hair and left. Left to find Anne.

I'M BACK BUT THIS IS MY SENIOR YEAR SO I APOLOGIZE IF I DON'T UPDATE OFTEN.