chapter •the king

Two months have passed by quickly. The Boleyn household was prepared at a great expense for the arrival of the King. Mary, Catherine, and Anne prepared along with helping Anne look her best.

"THE KING! THE KING!" Catherine heard yelling from outside. Anne was the first to rush to the window. Catherine followed out of curiosity. She watched as Stafford orders people to get ready.

"Do you think he'll like me?" Anne asks. Mary looks at Anne with a smile.

"Of course he will, sister. How can he not?" Mary reassured.

"Do you think he is as handsome as people say?" Catherine asked. She walks back to the mirror to check herself. She fixed the gold yellow skirt.

"Possible." Mary says. All three smile in excitement and leave quickly.

Catherine stood next to Mary as the King arrived on horseback. Anne smiles happily when the King stops in front of the Boleyns. The King descents from his horse and walked forward to Thomas Boleyn.

"Sir Thomas." Henry VIII greets. He holds his hand out for Thomas to kiss his ring.

"Your Majesty. You're most welcome." Thomas bows. Henry moves on to Elizabeth and she kisses his ring as well.

"Lady Elizabeth." Henry greets. Thomas walks forward with a smile.

"May I present my daughter, Anne." Thomas introduced. Henry looks at Anne.

"A daughter? No one said anything of a daughter. Had we known, we might have come sooner." Henry says, walking forward to Anne. Anne smiles and bows.

"Your Majesty."

Mary and Catherine watch, thinking "well done" to Anne. Catherine looked at the rest of the party joining the king and one man caught her eye. He was well-built, dark blonde colored hair up to his shoulder, dark green-blue.

The man felt the stares and looked around to see Catherine. He got a good look at her before smirking and nodding his head at her. Catherine looks down at her feet in embarrassment.

Everyone moved to the banquet being held. Catherine wasn't able to sit with Anne or Mary. Instead, she was placed next to Norfolk, who was next to the King. Norfolk occasionally looked her way as Catherine ate. She would look kindly to him, but it only made him look away. Catherine popped a grape in her mouth when her eyes land on the strange man.

This time he was looking at her. Catherine looks away. She turns to Norfolk and pokes his shoulder. Norfolk immediately looks at her.

"What is it?" He asked, surprisingly softly. Catherine leans forward to whisper.

"Who is that man?" She nods towards the man's direction. Norfolk looks and turns back to Catherine. He leans in a little too close and whispers in her ear.

"That is the King's closest friend, the Duke of Devonshire. He has a bit of a reputation, I advise you to stay away. Do you understand?" Norfolk says sternly.

"Yes, sir." Catherine looks down at her food. Norfolk sighed and grabs her chin gently to lift her head.

"I must speak with you in private later. I will have someone look for you." Norfolk says. Catherine nods and looks back down at her food. When she did look up, she caught the man-- the Duke of Devonshire, looking at her and Norfolk. He shakes his head and talks to the men next to him.