chapter •queen katherine

In the carriage, Anne, Mary, and Catherine sat waiting to reach the palace. As they reached it, it seemed to get louder and louder. yelling from the people. The three women in the carriage look out to see it busy. They were helped out of the carriage and were found by one of the ladies of the Queen. She lead them through the halls. Catherine could hear the voice of a woman reading in Latin.

They entered the court where the Queen was in at the moment. Katherine of Aragon, late-30's, imperious, intimidating, Spanish. She was surrounded by other ladies in waiting, no doubt mostly high- born, Spanish, and around the Queen's age.

"Mary Carey, Your Majesty." The lady announced to Queen.

"Who?" Queen Katherine asks.

"Your new lady-in-waiting and her sister, Anne. And Catherine Seymour, Princess Mary's new governess."

"Really? I wasn't aware I was expecting one." The Queen says.

"Appointed by His Majesty the King." The air crackles with tension.

The Queen understood the reason before dropping her gaze onto Catherine and smiled falsely. "Lady Jane, come and greet your sister."

Catherine froze. She heard someone standing and the sound of shoes hit the marble floor. Catherine was greeted by a hug and was let go to see a milk-faced girl. Catherine's elder sister, Jane Seymour stood there with a smile. "A lovely reunion." The Queen says before turning back to Mary.

"Well, then she must be some kind of gift or surprise. He must have seen in her some talent he knew would please me." The Queen talks about Mary. "Tell me, what special talent is it that you have? Apart from your obvious youth and beauty?"

"I..." Mary trails away. She didn't know what to say.

"Poetry, perhaps?" The Queen suggests.

"No."

"Or dressmaking?"

"No."

"Singing then, surely?"

"No, Your Majesty." Mary looks down in embarrassment. Catherine was about to go stand next to Mary, but Jane was holding her in place from leaving.

"Come, you're too modest. Sing for us." The Queen orders. Mary looks up with pleasing eyes.

"Really, I beg you." Mary begs with fear in her eyes. Catherine could see that the Queen was pleased with that.

"Sing." The Queen orders once more. Mary looks at at Anne before singing. Her voice was shaky while singing. Catherine saw a girl hiding back her laugh. She felt the girl was a vile serpent one. Not to mention she looked like a goat.

Mary had finished singing. She felt embarrassed about it. The Queen smiles.

"Bravo. A nightingale." The Queen clapped. It was cruel satisfaction of victory for the Queen. "Welcome at court."

Mary and Anne bow before Mary leaves quickly. Catherine bows as well and leaves from the Queen's and Jane's reach to follow the Boleyns. Jane stared at her young sister on how she followed them like a chick with the mother hen. She wasn't sad, but annoyed.

In the corridors of Whitehall Palace. Mary, Anne, and Catherine walks through. Mary's face was burning from the humiliation. The sound of a voice behind them stopped Mary. Anne and Catherine saw the younger and English lady in waiting to the Queen, Jane Parker. Catherine glared at Jane for early, but Anne pulls her away to leave the two, much to her protest.

(Yasemin Allen as Jane Seymour)

YES, I PORTRAYED KATHERINE OF ARAGON AS THE JEALOUS QUEEN. FORGIVE ME PLEASE.