chapter •duke of devonshire

In a large dusty yard, where knights train for combat, and practice their fighting skills, Catherine is with George, who is putting on his armour. George listened to the fair-haired Seymour with amusement and disgust. They talked about the goat-faced Jane Parker and how Mary had told Catherine that Jane would like to get to know George more. George was not for it.

"Not noticed her? Jane Parker? Of course I have. How could I not? She looks like a goat." George insults. Catherine giggled at George.

She pulled out a handkerchief that Mary asked her to give when she found George.

"Well, she likes you, and asked Mary to give you this..to remember her by." Catherine mocks. She hands over the handkerchief. George looks at it as if he was being handed a bowl of horse dung.

"Ugh. Well say you haven't seen me. Or that you forgot." George hastily gives it back. "There is something about that woman that makes me feel..." he shudders.

"It would be a match to please your father." Catherine teases.

"God forbid, Kitty." George adds. He gets to his feet, ready to join his new found courtiers.

"Have you spoken to Anne?" Catherine asks.

"Anne? You know she took being upstaged by you and Mary very badly." George spoke. Catherine nods. Anne was still a bit upset with the both of them, more on Mary than Catherine now.

"Yes, I know. But you know I hadn't done it intentionally, nor did Mary. I would never do anything like that, anything to hurt Anne."

"I know." George finds his helmet, puts it on. "You are too good and pure to ever hurt Anne intentionally. To hurt anyone you hold in your heart."

Catherine smiles which makes George smile before a hand hits his shoulder.

"George." George and Catherine look to the figure behind George.

"Joseph." George greets. Catherine bows her head.

"I remember you." Joseph points at Catherine.

"Joseph, this is Catherine Seymour. Kitty, this is Joseph Cavendish." George introduced. Catherine looks up at Joseph to see him smirk. He grabs her hand and kisses the top of it.

"A pleasure." Joseph says. Catherine nods back. At some point, George was called away by a friend, leaving the two alone.

"If I may be so bold..." Joseph says. Catherine nods for him to go on. "I have been meaning to speak with you. The King has told me about you, about your conversation in the Boleyn library. He thinks you are very intelligent."

"The King gives me too much credit." Catherine murmured. Joseph smiles.

"Nonsense. If he didn't think it, you wouldn't here." Joseph says. Catherine blushed red when he stared at her. She didn't feel like that when any other man spoke to her that way

"He barely knows me. Now I am to be Governess for his daughter."

"I'm sure you will teach the princess well, my lady."

"Thank you for the vote of confidence, Your Grace." Catherine bows her head. Joseph shakes his head to stop her.

"Call me Joseph if you like." Catherine gives a sad smile and shakes her head. Joseph frowned at her it.

"I cannot. It isn't appropriate." Catherine explains. She wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea. After all, this was the court, where scandal is born and grows into disasters.

"Even if I allowed you?" Joseph questioned.

"Even if you allowed me." Catherine repeats.

"Well then, we will just have to get to know one another 'til it's no long wrong." A groom approached and bows to Cavendish.

"Lord Cavendish, the King wishes to speak to you." A groom informs before leaving. Joseph looks at Catherine and takes her hand to kiss it once more.

"Until next time, my lady." He leaves Catherine alone, with her cheeks flushing pink.