chapter •we have been summoned

Catherine stood by Anne as the King walks pass to say goodbye to Lady Elizabeth. He brings Thomas to the side and whispers something in his ear.

"You will take care of that matter?" The King asks Thomas.

"Yes, of course. Of course, Your Majesty. Thank you." The King looks back at Mary. I looked at Anne to see how she felt, she noticed it to. Anne wasn't happy. Catherine waved goodbye at George, who was going with the King. She caught the stares of Devonshire , who nods goodbye at her.

Once gone, Mary and Catherine were called into the dining room by Norfolk. Anne wasn't allowed to accompany them.

"Mary, you've obviously made a deep impression on the King." The voice of Norfolk boomed. He, along with Thomas and Mary's husband walked in. Catherine stood behind Mary to let them talk to her. "He's requested that you come to court with immediate effect."

"The King has secured for you a position in the Queen's household." Thomas told Mary with a gleam of happiness in his tone.

"But I don't want to go to court. Nor does my husband." Mary spoke. Norfolk looks at William Carey, who steps up and takes the place of Thomas.

"The King has also offered me a position. As a gentleman of the Privy Council." Carey says to Mary. Mary was shocked by this. Catherine listened careful, knowing now why Mary was being called to court. The King desires her. Anne will surely not be happy about this.

"Do you hear that, Mary? Privy Council. Attending upon His Majesty himself. The inner sanctum."

"What about our future in the country?" Mary asks Carey.

"Oh, you must put that out of your mind." Norfolk told her.

"From now on your future is at court."

"William, please. Don't you understand what this means? They'll separate us. Put me in different accommodation where the King can always find me." Mary says. Carey looks away for Mary's eyes in guilt.

"Happily, your husband understands the value of such an opportunity. For us all."

"Why are you alright with this?" Catherine finally spoke. All eyes on her. "You would allow the King to have Mary as if she was just a play thing, this isn't right—"

"Silence, girl!" Norfolk yells. Catherine jumps back. Norfolk takes a deep breath and walks forward to her. "Mary isn't the only one. You have also made an impression on the King. He is securing you a place as Governess to the Princess Mary. He finds your intelligence and kind nature wanted for his daughter."

Catherine was in shock again. She? As governess? Mary sensed her discomfort and pulled Catherine gently away for Norfolk.

"Well, what about Anne? Couldn't she go instead?"

"Anne? The way Anne has behaved, she fortunate to be coming at all." Thomas says. Mary looks at her husband for help but he leaves. Mary took Catherine and they go to Lady Elizabeth for help on this.

"Mother, please, speak to Father. Do something. I don't want to go." Mary pleads to her mother. Catherine stood by her, begging as well.

"This is not a request. We have been summoned." Lady Elizabeth says before getting up and walking out of the room. Anne goes to follow but Mary stops her.

"Please don't be angry with me. You think I desire to go, for this purpose?" Mary asks Anne. Anne turns around angrily.

"All I know is that a man that didn't know who you were was with you in that room for half an hour, and came out besotted." Anne snaps. "I don't know what you said or did."

"Noting, sister. Except sing your praises and talk about my husband."

"Really? Well, you must show me how you did that some time." Anne walks out the room, not wanting to talk anymore with Mary. Catherine saw the sadness in mary's eyes and wrapped an arm in comfort.

"Don't worry. I will speak to Anne." Catherine promises to Mary. Mary nods and lays her head on Catherine's shoulder.

Catherine found Anne in the library reading in book. She walks forward to Anne and sat down beside her legs. Anne didn't acknowledge her.

"Anne, please don't be angry." Catherine pleads softly. Anne shuts her book and throws it on the table.

"How do you expect me not to be angry? You and Mary are going off to court at the King's request wells I should be lucky to even be going.. How did you even get the King to make you the Governess of Princess Mary?"

"I didn't do anything, Anne. All I did was talk about myself and what I was reading. He found me in the library after your walk together." Catherine says truthfully.

"Oh, Kitty." Anne says softly. She takes Catherine's hand into hers and holds it.

"I swear on my life, if I could, I would let you take my place." Catherine says to Anne. Anne shakes her head.

"Don't say that, Kitty. I believe you."