chapter •mourning black and bright smiles

...

On a green field, nothing but peace and trees for miles. That was where Catherine found peace of mind. With the help from a maid called Ophelia, who had served Lady Blount diligently, Catherine learned that this was the favorite place of the little Fitz. How he liked to run and play without a care in the world. He was a happy child, even in his last few days of his life.

And Bessie, she spent her time in the garden according to the maid. She picked flowers and fed the birds and fishes in the near pond. She rode on horseback and met with a young man who took care of them. According to the Ophelia, Bessie and the young stable-boy started a secret relationship. No one else knew other than the maid who helped them see each other. Before Bessie died, she gave Ophelia her jewelry, some to keep for herself and the rest to trade for gold and give to the poor. It was a finally act of kindness and a way to help hers and her son's soul enter the kingdom of heaven. How good she is... was.

Catherine walked, her black dress dragging on the ground. She didn't have to strength nor the care to pick the skirt up slightly so leaves wouldn't get caught. She smelled the country air. She felt free. She had now seen how suffocating it was to be at court.

Here in her new home, she was free from the court, from the Boleyns and the Seymours who rip her apart, from Anne and her demands and jealousy, from Mary who was letting herself be walked all over, and especially from the King who treats his daughter, his flesh and blood like a bastard.

Catherine was interrupted from her thoughts by the sound of leaves crunching. She whipped her head around to find the Duke who had accompanied her to Bolton.

"Lady Bolton." Joseph greets, walking close to her.

"Is there something you needed, Your Grace?" Catherine asks once she turned away from him.

"No. I just thought you might like some company." Joseph says, now stand beside her with his hand behind his back. Catherine did look at him when he spoke.

"That's very kind of you, but I would rather be alone for now."

"I'm sure you would, my lady, but I don't recommend it. Many people are very worried about you."

"Like who? Other than Mary, who else is worried about me." Catherine asks.

"Well, there is the Lady Boleyn. You are her daughter in her eyes." Joseph answers. Catherine stays silent for a second.

"I suppose so..."

"Lady Anne—"

"I would think she's more happy to see me so upset, especially when Henry's son is dead." Joseph didn't answer back.

"King Henry is worried." This time, Catherine didn't say anything. The last thing she wants is for the king to think about her. The king's attention is deadly.

Joseph took the silence as a sign to continue. "Princess— Lady Mary."

He corrects himself. He didn't like this new title for the little girl he watched grow up. Mary was like a daughter in his eyes. How Henry could be so cruel to his children, all for Lady Anne.

Catherine turns to look at his finally, she stares. He stares back. How beautiful she is... Was all Joseph could think.

Catherine gives him a small smile. Tiny, barely noticeable, but he noticed. He gives her a smile back.

"I should have brought Princess Mary." Catherine says. "Take her away from court for a while, Queen Katherine would want that."

"The country air is wonderful, isn't it?" Joseph steps forward and stands beside beautiful Lady Catherine.

"It is, yes. If I were not due to return to court, I would spend my days here." Catherine tells him.

"The King is allowing you to stay for a month. If you wish to extend your stay, you can." Joseph responds. Catherine looks at him with confusion in her eyes

"How? As you said, I am only allowed a month."

"I know a way or two. I believe you are due for a break from court life, Lady Bolton." He speaks his mind.

"Catherine."

"Pardon?" Joseph asks.

"You may call me Catherine, Kitty if you wish." Catherine says.

"If you wish 'Kitty', you can call me Joseph. Joe if you wish, but be warned that I may not respond often to that." Joseph jokes. He smiles at Catherine, before chuckling.

If the first time in a while, Catherine smiles a bright smile.

PROBABLY MANY ERRORS.