chapter •returning past

...

The next several months have been filled with much unwanted tension in the court. As much as Catherine tried to stay out of the matter of the Anne-Henry-Katherine problem and the Anne-Mary problem, she was deep into it. As for the Boleyns, she was straying away from the family and spending more and more time with her sister, Jane.

Jane often brought Catherine with her to serve the Queen and even though Queen Katherine disliked the Boleyns, she had come to see that Catherine Seymour was much different and more like her faithful lady, Jane.

She started to like her more and more now when Henry had decided to try and divorce her. Catherine was a great comfort. The Queen also pitied the poor girl. She was a pawn in two families' game. Betrothed to the monster, Norfolk, and separated from her family at a young age as the Queen had been.

Catherine did enjoy the company of the Queen and her ladies as she did the Princess Mary's. That was something Anne was not happy about. Instead of Catherine spending time with her, like they use to, she was at the beck and call of her rival.

For Anne, everything in court was going very well. She had the king's ear, attention and power. She assumed she had his heart as well.

She questioned it, however, when Henry went to see his daughter and Anne went with him. Catherine was there with Princess Mary and she didn't wish to speak or even acknowledge Anne in the room. Henry constantly stared at Kitty with lust in his eyes, the same eyes he gives to Anne.

Anne was right to question Catherine loyalty now. They didn't feel like sisters anymore. Anne was so overcome by power that it disgusted Catherine.

Thomas Boleyn storm down a corridor with Catherine behind him as they make their way to Anne's room. His faces was grim, it's a terrifying sight. Everyone walking by back away. The chamber door of Anne's room flies open and Lord Boleyn burst in. Anne, in the bath, covers herself quickly. Catherine took the sheet from the maid and covers Anne.

"Mary Talbot." Sir Boleyn says. Anne looks up at him as she adjust sheet, covering herself tightly.

"Who?" Sir Boleyn's face goes red with angry.

"Mary Talbot!! The girl that married Henry Percy." He snaps.

"Leave us." Catherine orders the maid. The maid bows and hurries off. Once the door shuts, Boleyn continues.

"It seems she has petitioned the King, demanding a divorce from her husband on the grounds..." He could hardly bring himself to say his next words. "...that his prior betrothal to you was actually..." He clutches knuckles until they turn white. "...consummated."

Anne's eyes widen in horror. She falls back, unable to believe it but Catherine held her tight. "What?"

"I knew this would come back to haunt us!" Boleyn hisses at Anne. Anne let go of Catherine and looks around for her clothes.

"I must go to the King."

"No! He doesn't want to see you! Or hear a word from your lips! He won't even talk to me. He's far too angry. It seems the only Boleyn he will speak to, the only person who's testimony he will trust in this matter is Mary."

Anne's face goes dark with daggers in her eyes at the mention of her sister.

"Mary?" Anne shook in angry but in fear as well. Catherine saw her shut her eyes, thinking it over, but seeing that there was no other choice, "Then bring her here."

On a cold mid-winter day, William Carey's coffin is lowered into the ground. Mary, dressed in widow's black, steps forward and throws earth on her husband's grave. She walked back to comfort her children as the priest continues with the service.

Mary bows her head, then senses someone's eyes are on her. She looks up, and her expression changes into shock.

There is George and Catherine. They stood amongst a handful of mourners, staring at her. Catherine wore black as well, to grieve with Mary and the children. She steps forward, leaving George's side and walking forth. She picked Henry off the ground and cradled him gently.

The entire Boleyn family is assembled in the Boleyn House at nighttime. Sir Boleyn, Lady Elizabeth, Duke of Norfolk, George, and Anne, herself.

The atmosphere is very tense. Presently, the door opens, and Mary and Catherine enters the room. All eyes on Mary and her children. Mary curtseys, since they were all above her status.

"Mary..." Sir Boleyn spoke first. An awkward silence befell. Mary held her daughter in her arms and Henry was in Catherine's. Mary felt the peace of her newly made life start to fade away. "We're so sorry." He cleared his throat. "About your husband."

That was all he said. That was all anyone said. Lady Elizabeth was the only one to walk forth and embrace her daughter and grandchildren. She had gently took Henry from Catherine arms and hugged the boy.

The other Boleyns seemed hesitate, or didn't want to engage. George wished to join his mother but his father kept him in place. Norfolk and Anne didn't move an inch. Sir Boleyn just watched.

This was once a happy family. Once...

SHORT CHAPTER :(