chapter •soothe

They still haven't returned. Catherine and Mary were they worried for Anne and George. They sat by the window, looking out very minute for a change, but none came.

"What's keeping them? Where are they?" Thomas questions. Catherine fiddles with her fingers in worry that Mary had to hand onto her hands for comfort. When Catherine looks away, she caught Norfolk staring at her, probably angry that he didn't get the chance to speak with her the other day.

Horses neighed in the distance. Catherine shot her head at the sound and stood up. Mary saw two riders returning, it was her brother and Stafford. Mary grabs a hold of Catherine and drags her outside. Norfolk and Thomas follow when seeing the riders.

They make it outside to where George and Stafford dismounted their horses. Catherine bolted to George and hugged him, muttering about how worried she was.

"Is someone hurt?" Thomas asked Stafford. Stafford didn't need to answer when Norfolk caught the sight of the rest of the hunting party returning, and the King badly hurt.

"My God. It's the King."

"The King? What? What happened?" Thomas asks.

"The stag went into the woods and led us to the deep ravine. Everyone was prepared to concede defeat and let the animal go. Except Anne." Stafford tells the truth. Norfolk and Thomas were horrified.

"Oh, no. What? She knows that ravine. She must have ridden it a thousand times." Just as Thomas was speaking, Anne returned. "What, and the King followed and then he fell?"

Stafford confirms the story. The King, unconscious, was carried back. Catherine saw the Duke of Devonshire occasionally looking over at the King's body. When their eyes met, he looked away quickly.

As Anne was being helped off her horse, Mary goes to her. Catherine lets go of George and runs after Mary.

"What happened?" Mary asked softly.

"He fell." Anne says. She brushed her dress off in nervousness. "He fell, he fell and now I have lost my chance." Anne adds in fright of what her father and uncle will do.

"He's in some pain. Although I suspect his pride is hurting rather more." Stafford tells Norfolk. Norfolk had his eyes on Mary and thought of a plan.

"It was my fault." Anne confessed and hugs Mary for comfort. Mary hugs back to relax her sister. "How could I?"

"Fetch Mary to me, would you?" Norfolk instructs before turning away an leaving in a huff.

Catherine stayed with Anne to relax her while Mary was instructed to heal the King. Anne was in shock and faced away for Catherine. Catherine sat in the armchair next to the bed and read a book out loud to Anne.

After such a long time, Anne finally sat up and leaned her back against the headboard of the bed. Catherine stopped reading.

"What will happen to me now? This was my one chance, I could have been made a duchess. Why did I go after the stag?" Anne cried out. She put her head in her hands and cried. Catherine puts the book down and joins Anne, hugging her tightly and rocking her back and forth.

"Anne, please. It was not your fault. The King didn't know about the ravine like you did. Calm down." Catherine tried to soothe the Boleyn girl. After a few minutes, Anne's crying turned into snuffles. Catherine still rocked her back and forth while gently singing a french song she learned. She didn't know when Anne had fallen asleep, but she kept on sleeping.