chapter •bolton

...

Catherine, in a mourning black dress and her hood covering her hair, stepped out of the doors with Mary walking beside her. Catherine didn't speak, not to any of the Boleyns or the Seymours, not to the King or the Queen, not to Princess Mary who was soon to reach her fifteen years of life. Not to young Henry or Cat, who desperately wished to be with their "aunt" Catherine. She didn't say a word.

That concerned Mary. Catherine was always a happy girl, full of joy and laughter. But the deaths of Mistress Blount and Henry Fitzroy had hit her hard. She was concerned for Catherine's health during this grieving. Mary had tried to convince Anne to tell the King to not allow Catherine to leave, but Anne deemed it a good idea. It would get Catherine away from court for awhile.

King Henry wanted to accompany his favorite lady, without Anne. He wanted to be with her in her time of grieving. Fitzroy was, after all, his son. He wanted to be alone with her. He wanted to feel her heart beat, to be close. He wanted... Her. But Anne, she said she would leave court and never return. That made him stay.

Anne was, somewhat, happy that Catherine would be gone for a while. She wouldn't be by the Queen's side, or near Henry. Catherine wouldn't interfere or seem to support Princess Mary's claim.

"Are you certain you don't wish me to go with you?" Mary asks the Seymour girl. Catherine didn't respond, only entered to carriage. Mary frowned at Catherine's silence. She turned away and caught sight of the Duke of Devonshire on his horse. Mary curtsies and walks forth. Joseph nods his head and guides his horse to stop walking.

"Lady Mary, how are your children?" Joseph asks.

"They are well, thank you for your concern." Mary answers. She steps closer. "Where are you off to?"

"The King asked me to accompany Lady Seymour to Bolton." Joseph answers loud enough for Catherine to hear. He'd hope she'd turn her head to look at him, but no movement was made. Catherine was too trapped in her own thoughts to listen.

"May I ask Your Grace for a favor then?" Mary asks. Joseph nods. Mary looks to Catherine in the carriage for a moment.

"Please watch over her carefully. I have never seen her like this before. I'm afraid she might do something." Mary says in concern. Joseph's eyes return to Catherine and held his gaze there, before looking back to Mary

"Do not fear, Lady Mary. I will take good care of Catherine." Joseph promises. Mary bows and bides Catherine goodbye before finally returning inside.

The journey from the Palace of Whitehall to Bolton was tiring. Catherine sat in silence and listened to the sound of hooves hit the gravel. She watched the trees pass from the carriage window. She could no longer cry nor smile at the moment. Not even when she remembered happy memories. Not even when she recalled the day they met and Henry Fitzroy gave her a rose. No, these memories only made her sadder.

The carriage was ceased to move. Catherine didn't even know she had arrived until Cavendish walked to her window.

"Catherine, we have arrived." Joseph informs. The door opens by a footman and Catherine takes the hand that Joseph held out for her to take. Stepping outside, she finally got to see Bolton Castle. Maids and stewards all stood outside with their heads bowed low, not daring to look at the mistress of the household in the face. The moment Catherine stepped foot on the ground, she let go of his hand and walks forth. The servants bow just as Catherine walks pass and disappearing into the house.

Joseph hands the reins of his horse over to a stableboy and looks at the servants of the house. They had also bowed to his, knowing who he was. One maid, with fair hair and curves in the right spots had stepped forward slightly just to be noticed. She bows as Joseph passes by, going low enough to show her breast peaking out from her dress. Joseph did noticed, but didn't stay long enough to get a better view. The maid smirks and rises before the housekeeper orders everyone back to work.

Another maid, a tiny, skinny young thing with black hair and grey eyes had watched the screen play

Another maid, a tiny, skinny young thing with black hair and grey eyes had watched the screen play. Only wanting to see the Mistress of the House, turned into her fellow servant attempting to seduce the Duke of Devonshire. She didn't move from her spot, which only made the housekeeper walk over to her and pinch her arm. The young girl hissed in pain.

"Eve! Get back to work!" The Headmaid yells at her

"Eve! Get back to work!" The Headmaid yells at her. Eve removes her arm from the older woman's grasp and bows, quickly rushes back inside.

SHORT CHAPTER AND LIKE, NO EDITING.