chapter •mary's return

...

Catherine sat on Mary's bed with the children as she cradled them to sleep.
Several maids in the Boleyn House were assembled, fussing over Mary to transforming her from penniless country widow to sophisticated courtier once again. She had her eyes shut the whole time maids did their work. Catherine had heard the door open, though Mary did not.

Anne entered, yet to be seen by Mary, she ushers everyone out. She held her hand out to take the brush from the departing maid. She walked behind Mary and continues to brush her hair.

"Such beautiful hair." Anne finally speaks. Catherine saw Mary freeze and open her eyes. Anne continued to brush the golden hair of her sister. It was silent, painfully silent. "Thank you for coming."

Mary looked through the mirror to look at Anne. Catherine watched as Anne's hands shake. Mary hadn't spoken yet, allowing Anne to say what she had to say. She lowered the brush to her side and gave Mary a small smile.

"I hate how this matter has come between us. I wanted to come to see you after your daughter was born, and again when your husband died, but..." Anne trails away from her words.

Mary pulls away and stands from the seat. "It's fine."

Anne smiles and reaches to grab Mary's hand, but Mary raises her hand out of reach from her. "Leave me. Please..?"

Anne stares at Mary, her lips trembling. Catherine saw the fear in Anne's eyes and it was real. Not a lie, like the ones she does.

"I'm frightened, Mary. What have I done?" Mary turns away, avoiding Anne's eyes. She walks over to the bed and leans down to give her children each a kiss on the forehead. She fixed her dress before leaving and being escorted to the King's chambers.

Catherine saw Anne shake is fear. She let out a gasp before she too left, leaving Catherine alone with young Henry and baby Catherine.

In the corridor outside the King's apartment, the Boleyn family members paced outside anxiously.

Finally, the door opens and Mary emerges from the King's apartments. It reminded Mary of the first time she went to bed with the King.

Her entire family stares expectantly at her. Anne steps forward, unable to conceal her anxiety.

"And?" Anne asks.

Catherine helped putting the children to bed, tucking young Henry in. Mary sat down beside Henry and gently struck his hair.

"Mama? What's the matter?" Henry asks innocently. He saw how his mother's hands shook and how visibly upset she looked. Mary put on a brave face quickly.

"Nothing." She smiles, tenderly kisses Henry. Catherine smiles at the warm relationship and blew out a candle.

Anne appeared in the doorway, watches carefully through a half-open door. She saw how loving a mother she was. The door gently creaked, catching the attention of Mary and Catherine.

Mary got to her feet and walks towards Anne. Catherine followed and closes the door behind her. Anne stares at Mary, finding it difficult to say something.

"I am forever in your debt." Anne tells Mary.

"You owe me nothing, sister. I did it that we may finally draw a line beneath everything that has happened between us." Mary says with no pause. Anne smiles wide and takes Mary's hand.

"Then let it be exactly that. A new start between us. Here at court." Anne offers.

"Thank you." Mary says, but removes her hand away from Anne's. "But I'd rather go back to our home in the country."

"What? That damp old ruin? With no food? Or warmth?" Anne asks. Mary stood silent, taking offense. Catherine looks at Mary and takes her hand. Mary did not remove her hand like the way she did with Anne.

"She does not mean it in that way, Mary. Just that... why don't you let your family look after you?" Catherine asks.

"Your children would have the best of everything here. They would grow up safe and secure." Anne adds. Mary looks at Catherine and Catherine had a pleading look in her eyes.

Suddenly a sound of a commotion, came from outside. The sound of trumpets, The unmistakable noise of arriving soldier. The three women rushed to a window. It looked like a small army outside and at the centre of everything: a grand, old, bearded archbishop. He climbs down from an opulent carriage.

"Who's that?" Mary asked. Sir Boleyn came from behind and peaked over.

"The Papal Legate. Sent by the Pope to preside over the Queen's trial." He explained.

Mary looks first at Anne, then back out as the long procession dramatically enters the palace gates.

"So, it's true. It's really happening?" Mary asks stunned. Anne suddenly looks pale. Vulnerable. Frightened. She took Mary's hand once more and Catherine and held them close to her.

"Yes, it is. Stay with me, please? I need my sister by my side." Anne pleads. Mary looks out the window again.

Catherine wraps her arm around Anne and held her closes. Anne closes her eyes. For once, after such a long time, the three women acted like sisters again.

SHORT BUT IT'S THERE.