chapter •anne's return

...

Months have passed since Anne's departure. Catherine had taken in what Jane told her and was prepared. It did surprise her when the King had accepted the betrothal of Catherine to Norfolk.

Catherine missed Anne so much. Mary was now with child by the King and the Queen Katherine was not happy. The Boleyns, except Lady Elizabeth, were happy with the news. Mary seemed happy as well but her early lying down was tiresome to her. George and Catherine visited as often as they could.

King Henry visited her to see how she was as well, but those visits grew less and less. Catherine knew this because where ever she was, Henry was there. As much as she tried to avoid him, she wasn't able to. He was the king of England, but there is one thing certain. He will not have her.

She does not wish to be discard after he is done with her. Catherine knew that with Norfolk, she will not be left disgraced and her children will not be bastards.

Catherine herself learned a thing or two. Power is everything at court ad without it you are nothing. That's why she kept herself with Norfolk and was often include in conversations like she was at that moment.

Sitting next to Norfolk as they discussed the king's next interest. Sir Boleyn was with them as well.

"Now that Mary is lying-in, the king will no longer bed her.Out of compassion, he'll visit her every day for, what, a week?" Norfolk grunts. "The queen will have his head spinning with pretty little Spanish things. Not to mention the Seymours and that milky-faced girl of theirs."

"Jane is a devoted Catholic, she wouldn't. Elizabeth and Dorothy are both married. I'm the last and I'm engaged to you." Catherine says. Norfolk nods at her and continued.

"We must influence him in our favor with whatever means we have." Norfolk says. Sir Boleyn looks at him as if wanting to say something but held back. Norfolk noticed. "Yes?"

"Well, I... I was going to suggest Anne." Sir Boleyn stutters out.

"You couldn't control that girl last time. What makes you think a couple months in France have made any difference?" Norfolk asks. Catherine was only curious to ear. Would Anne maybe return?

"I receive regular reports from the dowager queen. It seems that she's quite changed." Sir Boleyn explains. Norfolk looks at Sir Boleyn then at Norfolk before thinking hard about it.

And soon, Lady Boleyn sent out a message to Anne, asking her to return and to entertain the king. Catherine smiles with glee at the news that Anne will soon return.

In the banquet hall, the king and other nobles sat and ate happily. Catherine sat across from George, much to Jane Parker's constant protest. Of course she could say nothing now that Catherine was ranked above the whole Boleyn family. George was happy that he wasn't alone with his serpent of a wife. Next to Catherine was Bessie.

Bessie and Catherine confided in each other. They were truthful to each other and Catherine often helps Bessie with her son, Henry.

Laughter on the other side of the room was in everyone's ears. She knew it was Anne telling stories to the gentlemen. She wanted to sit was Anne, but was instructed not to by Norfolk.

"What's the noise?" King Henry asks loudly to the group. Laughter ceases and one gentleman stands to explain.

"It's Mistress Boleyn, Your Grace. Her stories of life at the French court."

"I'm aware of one Boleyn girl. But she's lying-in with a certain child in her belly." Henry says, making a few people in the hall chuckle, as if it was an accomplishment. It disgusted Catherine but she held her tongue. "Well, Boleyn girl...show your face."

Anne stood up from her seat and walks to the center and bows.

"What's so amusing?" Henry asks.

"I was merely offering my thoughts on the new French king. Who has such great power, yet such meager authority as a man." And there she struck. Anne was certainly an interesting woman. Her independents is what will get her far in life.

"Continue." Henry says intrigued.

"His pettiness is astounding." Anne continues on. "He will bear a mortal grudge over the mildest of slights. Spoiled cub with a spike in its paw. Riven with resentment. Unable to forgive or forget." Anne walks forward to the king. "A great king...a great man, rises above such things."

"And what would you know of great men?" Henry asks.

"I've read enough books and heard enough talk to believe I'd know one if he were before me." Anne tells in certainty.

"Then look about you. I'm curious, Do you see one here?" Henry says. Without Anne looking away from the king, she walks forward.

"Looking. my lord. Still looking, my lord. There. Found one." Anne says, still not breaking eye contact with the king. The king looks over her with amusement.

"So forgiveness, you say, makes a man great. What else?"

"Generosity. Humility. The ability to recognize his match in others and not be threatened by it." Anne tells.

"His match in other men?"

"Women too." Anne adds.

"You believe that? That women can be the match of men?" Henry asks.

"It's a question women have asked themselves for some time. But we concede men do have some value. So we accept them a equal." The king was no doubt hooked on her every word.

"I find you much changed, Mistress Anne." Henry says.

"Then my prayers have been answered." Anne says. The king leans forward.

"Welcome back at court." Anne returned to her seat with a proud look on her face. Catherine looks away and returns with her talk was George and Bessie.

I HAVE COUNTED UP THE VOTES AND DECIDE THAT CATHERINE WILL MARRY...

i'm not gonna tell yooooouuuuu...