Lost and found

"Wake up, Kate!" Nick's voice was sleepy. "Kate! Wake the fuck up and answer that phone or I'm throwing it out the window. I'm trying to sleep." Yep... I've had the chance to see Nick like this a couple of times in the past four years.

     I fumbled for the phone, but couldn't find it and that stupid ringtone just went on and on.

    "Kate!" Nick mumbled and then covered his ears with the pillow.

    "What?!" I yelled and stood up. "You think you're the only one tired? I'm exhausted, Nick and this stupid phone keeps ringing." He opened his eyes and gave me a confused look.

    I finally found my cell and answered with a growl. "What?"

   "Mrs R?" God dammit, Molly! "I'm sorry if I woke you up, but I thought you'd like to know that we're on."

    "What?" We were what?

    "The Mercury project?" She answered. "I got us the funding we needed." Oh God!

    "When?" I couldn't believe it. We were on.

    "I made some calls after you left... Anyway, the company's CEO and his crew are on their way to Seattle. They should be here in less than an hour and I'm picking them up from the airport, so all you have to do is wait for us at the office." I glanced at the clock and noticed it was a little past seven. Fuck! I'd overslept. 

    "Molly! Why didn't you wake me up sooner?" I heart her light giggle.

    "It's not that I haven't tried, Mrs R."

    "I'll be there in less than half an hour." I hang up and went to the closet. Nick came after me, put his hands on my hips and placed a soft kiss behind my ear.

    "I'm sorry I barked at you, princess." He looked over my shoulder at the closet. "What are you doing?" He asked frowning.

    "Getting ready for work." It had sounded more like a question and he seemed surprised.

    "Since when do you work the weekends?" That's when it hit me. I wasn't... "It's saturday, Kate..." I picked up my cell once more and dialed Molly.

    "You are aware it's saturday, right?" I asked as soon as she answered.

   "I was wondering when you'd notice. They called me around midnight and told me they'd be here at eight am today. I didn't really have a word in this." 

    "Ok, I'll be there."

    I put on a two-tone crepe jumpsuit signed Cynthia Vincent and a pair of black, studded Valentino pumps, I huriedly brushed my hair and put on some mascara, some eyeliner a little bit of lipstick and I was ready to go.

    "Here, take my car." Nick said and handed me the keys to his black Nissan Murano. "You might as well travel with style." He said smirking, then gave me a quick kiss. "Good luck!" I smiled and walked past him.

    Nick's car was a treasure. Shiny, smooth and brand new... You could still feel the fresh smell of leather.

    I turned on the radio and Rixton started singing about his broken heart. Before I knew it, I was singing with him.

   The parking lot in front of the building was empty so I had all the space I needed. Pulling up, I stepped out of the car and headed to my office. My hands were sweaty and my feet were shaking, but I hoped that except for that I was giving nothing away. I checked my watch and winced. I had five minutes to get into my office and get everything ready.

    Much to my surprise I had everything ready in less than three minutes. I mentally gave myself a pat on the back.

    "This way, sir." I heard Molly's voice at the other end of the hallway so I knew that she was taking them into the conference room. It's time... I've told myself and took a deep breath while walking to the door.

    I bumped into Molly who was coming to get me. "They're here." She said, barely breathing. I nodded and started walking.

   "Are you coming?" I asked turning my head toward her.

   "You want me to come?" She asked truly shocked.

   "I don't want you to come. I need you to come." She gave me her greatest grin and came after me.

   Taking one last deep breath and exhaling slowly, I opened the door... And froze. He had found me...

   Lucas stood up all of a sudden, taking a sharp breath. Don't come to me! Don't move! Please! I thought, while considering jumping out the window myself. He probably got the message because he slowly sat back down.

   "Mrs R?" Molly was right behind me, sporting a shy smile. "This is Mr. Carter the CEO of Carter Industries."She said pointing at Lucas. "This is Mr Andrew Brigs, Mr Carter's economist and that is Ms Gina Harper, Mr Carter's PA."

   "It's a pleasure to meet you all." I said, my voice sounding insecure and shaky.

   "The pleasure's all ours, Mrs R." Lucas raised an eyebrow while saying my name. "Please take a seat!" He said, pointing at the chair next to him. I took a seat at the opposite side of the big, square table, as far away from him as possible.

   I tried to focus on what I wanted to say, but under his scorching gaze, all I could think of was: He found me. I've hidden and run for so long and now he found me. Fuck!