The promised land

It was about six when Lucas came home. He looked beat and without hesitating I went into the kitchen and poured him a glass of bourbon -a glass of Bulleit.

"Hey!" He said, the moment I sat next to him on the couch.

"Hi! You don't look too good..." A bitter smile appeared on his face.

"You think?" I took his hand into mine, forcing him to look at me.

"It's gonna be fine. We're going to be fine." He pulled my face to his lips and kissed my forehead.

"Can you handle a surprise?" I frowned, but nodded. "Good. Come!" Lucas took me to the car and opened the door for me. After he climbed in as well, he started the engine and took us to what looked like a vineyard. So that was it? 15 minutes of driving for a vineyard?

"So this was your surprise?" I left out a short laugh. "You want to get me drunk?"

"Just wait..." He had a knowing smirk on his face that made me curious.

"What is it?" Lucas turned his head toward me and a genuine smile replaced the smirk.

"I knew that I could bring back that wonderful smile of yours." Oh, did I love this man...

He turned his head back to the road and I took a moment to admire his beautiful profile. Adele was singing something about water and flames and I couldn't help my smile. Me and Lucas, we were surely like water and a flame. The car stopped all of a sudden in front of a beautiful, imposing, victorian house, built on the shore and surrounded by trees and vines. The house seemed old, but the groups of people coming and going, making the final touches, told me it was perfectly new. I glanced at Lucas, because I knew where we were. This place spelled home.

"Come on!" He said, tugging my hand. We both climbed out of the car at Lucas led me to the entrance. My feet and hands were both shaking, but Lucas seemed to master his emotions like a pro.

"Mr Carter! We're all done, sir! Here are the keys!" The man in front of us was about 40 years old. "Let us know if you need our services again."

"Sure! Thank you, Marcus!" The man smiled and left the two of us alone. "Shall we?" Lucas asked me, pointing at the door. I nodded my head, feeling nervous as hell. Lucas opened the door and let me in first. "After you, Mrs Carter."

I stepped into a spacious hallway that knocked me off my feet immediately. The creamy and golden tones of the floor, walls and ceiling were amazing. Lucas led me into the other room that happened to be the living room and my mouth dropped open. Mahogany floors, a huge fireplace and a black piano, cream coloured walls, LCD's and beauiful, brown leather furniture were making the room the main piece of the house. Or so I thought until I saw the stairway and our bedroom. A king sized bed was placed on the wall facing the balcony, two sleck bedside tables on each side of the bed. The walk-in closet was huge, already filled with clothes for both me and Lucas and we even had our own huge, elegant bathroom. Long story short, our bedroom was both simply decorated and sophisticated. There was one thing all the rooms had in common, though... The creamy, brown and golden colors were everywhere you looked. Everywhere, except for Luck's room. His room was all painted blue, his bed was in the shape of a sports car and posters of all his favourite heroes were hanged on the walls. That and all the toys were going to make our Luck really happy.

"What do you think?" Lucas asked from behind me.

"It's amazing..." I answered, feeling like crying.

"I promised I won't let them get to you and I won't. Here, they won't find us. This is our own little piece of heaven." He sneaked his arms around my waist and pulled me flat against him.

"What about the vineyard?" I asked, already panting.

"What about it?" Lucas was kissing my neck, slowly going south.

"Who owns it?"

"We do..." I felt his smile on my skin and my knees buckled. "So, what do you say, Mrs Carter? Are you ready to rule the world by my side?" I smirked, knowing I was about to give myself up to him completely.

"Yes, boss!" And he knew that too, judging by his smile.