Game over

I kneeled next to Nick, taking the frozen peas to his black and blue eye.

    "How are you?" I quietly asked him.

    "I'm pretty sure I look exactly the way I feel." That would've been bad since he looked like he had been hit by a truck. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. Go check on Luck." I nodded and stood up.

    I knocked and opened his door. He was seated at the edge of the bed holding his Teddy.

   "Luck!" He turned his head toward me and stood up. I took him into my arms and he started crying, his little body shaking whenever he sobbed. "It's ok, sweety. It's ok!"

    "Why did that man hit Nick?" He asked, hugging me tighter.

    I coudn't have told him the exact truth, but I didn't want to lie to him either. "Because Nick took something really important from that man a while ago. He just wanted it back and Nick wouldn't give it to him."

    "Why not? Is it so important?" Oh, cricket!

    "It is very important, sweety." I answered, kissing his hair.

    "Is Nick going to be fine?"

    "Yes, of course. Nick is fine already. And he hit that man quite hard as well, cricket." He smiled a little.

    "Good. That means they're even." Oh, my Luck!

   "Yes, they are." I changed him into his pijamas and put him to bed. After kissing his forehead I started to leave but he stopped me.

   "Mommy, is it wrong that I like that man?" His question took me aback. "I talked to him once and he seemed nice. I mean, I know he hurt Nick, but I still like him. It wasn't really his fault, right? Nick took something of his and he just wanted it back, right?" Wrong? He was his father, so it was anything but wrong for Luck to like him. My heart filled with joy.

   "Yes, sweety, you're right. And no, it's not wrong for you to like him. It's actually good. Very good..." He proudly smiled and I couln't help but giggle.

   "I knew he wasn't a bad man." He said and then he turned his back on me.

    Nick was seated on the couch, holding the peas to his hurt eye and breathing heavily when I got back to him. I took a seat next to him and put my hand on his thigh.

   "Are you sure you're ok?" He watched me carefully and took my hand into his.

   "Yes. Is Luck ok?" I nodded and he seemed pleased. A weird expresion crossed his face a moment later and he frowned. "You should tell him, Kate. I've never thought it was a good idea to keep this from him and now here's the proof." I tried to procces his words but I couldn't get past the you should tell him thing. How could I tell him?

   "Nick..." He put a finger to my lips.

   "I trust you, Kate. You should trust yourself some more too." That was all he said. I helped him stand up afterwards and he went upstairs. Left alone, dozens of thoughts started spinning in my mind and I found myself picking up my phone, a jacket and my keys and heading out. What did I have to lose anymore, anyway? It was game over for me ever since he had set foot into this town.

    I drove to Hotel 1000 in silence, trying to think about what I'd say. It wasn't that much of a surprise to me that nothing good enough crossed my mind. All I had was: Hey, Lucas! I came to tell you that you kicked Nick's ass without any reason, since Luck's your son. Oh, crap! I noticed my hands shaking and I had to close my eyes for a second.