Wicked

"Mr Carter, your drink!" I took my glass of bourbon from Gina and gave her a thankful smile. "Do you need anything else?" I shook my head and turned to look at the crowd gathered in the room. I could see all the important people were already here, but I didn't care. All that mattered to me was that she wasn't here yet. I couldn't help envy that son of a bastard for being able to look at her all day long, whereas I could only see her for a couple of hours tops every once in a while. I didn't even want to remember that seing her was not the only thing he was able to do.

     Gina put her hand on my back trying to catch my attention. When I turned toward her, she took her lips to my ear.

    "Will I see you tonight, after the party? I've missed you yesterday." My skin started crawling at the thought of being with her tonight, even though I must admit that that was the only reason why she was here. I stepped back a little and shook my head. She pouted, just like she was always doing when she disliked something. "But, Mr Carter, I'm getting really bored, alone in my room." She gave me what she -and even I at some point- considered a sexy, sarcastic smile.

   "Then go hit some clubs." Her smile faded and she seemed shocked and offended. I took a sip of my bourbon and my stomach twisted. This wasn't Bulleit. "Oh, God!" I said, my face twisting in disgust. "What the fuck is this, Gina?" Her eyes widened.

    "The bourbon you asked for, sir." I looked at the copper coloured liquid in the glass.

    "This is not Bulleit, Gina! Go bring me Bulleit!" She nodded and took the glass from me, heading for the bar. It wasn't so much about the bourbon, since I could drink any kind of bourbon without a problem, as it was about the anger boiling inside of me. I was angry at Kate for being late, and I was angry at her fucking husband for having everything I've ever wanted, and I was angry at Gina for inviting me to spend the night with her, but most of all, I was angry at myself for letting all this affect me. My life was not my life anymore -not since she was back in it. I took a deep breath and looked at Gina, who was waiting to be served. God dammit! I could've just drank that stupid bourbon. I shouldn't have made such a big deal out of it. I mean, Bulleit was indeed my choice when it came to quality bourbon, but I could live with Jack Daniels, or Jeam Beam or Wild Turkey as well. Shit! I was being a dick and it wasn't even that much of her fault.

    I could easily see her moving toward me through the crowd, thanks to the red Valentino dress she was wearing. She was like a splah of colour in a sea of sober suits and dresses. She threw her blonde hair over her shoulder when she got next to me, drawing attention to her curves. She handed me another glass and her eyes travelled to the floor. When she was like this I almost liked her -almost. Well, anyway, she was a good, welcomed distraction from Kate, so why the hell not take advantage of this?

     And I would've, unless another splash of color -a radiating one- wouldn't have made an appearence right at that moment. Kate was wearing a wonderful navy blue halted, beaded bodice gown and a pair of blue Loubutin pumps. My eyes travelled hungrily from the baroque pattern of the bodice to the chiffon skirt. I almost felt underdressed wearing only a Hugo Boss tuxedo.

    "Oh my God! Is that a Catherine Deane dress?" Gina seemed amazed. I gave her a look and noticed she was watching Kate just as hungrily as me -out of completly different reasons, obviously. "I tried to buy that once, but couldn't afford it. Oh, God! It looks beautiful!" For the first time ever, I was agreeing with her. Kate was indeed looking beautiful. So beautiful that she even made the ass sitting next to her look good. I started going toward them, leaving Gina behind without a second thought. I stopped when James Greenberg came to me, but I was still close enough to hear the two of them talking.

    "I told you people would stare, Kate!" His tone was almost accusatory and I started considering punching him in front of all those people.

    "Nobody's staring, Nick. Would you calm down? I'm decent." She was right. There was nothing wrong with her outfit and instead of bitching about it, he should've been proud to have her by his side.