La vie toujours parchive

A baby, a mother and two dads...

    I didn't even need to read the article anymore. I could guess what it said... My phone started ringing and I reluctantly picked it up.

    "Hello?"

    "How are you?" Lucas's soft voice came through the phone.

    "Um... Not so good. You?" I heard his deep sigh.

    "You've seen it..." There was a moment of silence before I found something to say.

    "Yep... Hard to miss, this one..."

    "I'm sorry, Kate, and soon the fuckers will be sorry too! That, I promise you! They won't get away with this..." I cut him off, because revenge was the last thing I needed right now.

    "It's ok. I'm fine."

    "Well, I'm not! They signed a fucking contract! They're gonna pay for breaking the terms of it!" I thought about my currently former boss and job and decided to fill Lucas in as well, even though there wasn't much to tell. My boss -former boss- considered my reputation unsuitable for the company, so he had no other choice but to let me go. It only took him a second to react. "That's too damn well! He didn't deserve you anyway... It was about time you started working for me."

    "I'm not going to work for you, Lucas."

    "Why not?" He sounded confuse and a little hurt and I hurried to explain myself.

    "You own a great company, but I can't work for you."

    "Again, why not?"

    "Because I'm your wife. What will people say?"

    "You mean more than they say now?"

    "Maybe..." I was tired of this... Of everything... "Honestly Lucas, how can you know?"

   "Kate..." I didn't give him the chance to talk, though.

   "No, Lucas! I can't work for you because I'm not sure I would survive another media attack. Now, if  you don't mind, I need to pack my things." My voice was strong, but tired and my eyes full of unshed tears. Lucas sighed again and whispered into the phone.

   "I'm sorry..."

   "It's not your fault. This is life..."

   "Well, life's a bitch..." He hang up the phone and I went on with the packing, without paying attention to my crying assistant -because I honestly couldn't take care of her right now. After all, it was the time to leave Liman and CO. behind for good and the first person I needed to look after for now, was myself.