Shot through the heart

"What do you think?" Kate asked, coming out of the bathroom, and I turned to look at her. Oh, I'll be damned! She looked amazing...

    "Oh, you gotta be kidding me!" The innocent look on Kate's face wasn't making me feel better this time. "You can't go there, wearing this." I shook my head and she pouted.

    "I look that bad?" She checked her outfit and shrugged. "I like this dress. Don't you?" If I liked the dress? I loved it! It was a black, fitted cocktail dress with lace embroided neckline and sleeves. Actually, the problem was, I liked it too much. 

    "Kate, the dress is amazing and so are you, but don't you think it's a little too much? I mean, it's just a dinner. Can't you wear like... A pair of pants, or something?"

    "Yeah, or maybe I can just wear a sack, right?"

    "That might work. Let me see if I can find one." Kate grimaced and put on her pumps.

    "Stop it, Lucas! I know it's not easy for you, but you're making it even harder for me."

    "Then don't go! You can still change your mind." I went to her and kissed her neck.

    "Do you honestly think I like this? Do you think I wanna do it, or that it's gonna be easy?" There was not a single answer I could think of. "I must do this. I don't want to do it, but I must, so instead of making me feel like shit about it, you could help me deal with it." Come on, you idiot! She's not doing this for pleasure, so you could be a little more understanding. "Lucas, I love you! Just you... So, trust me! One night. After this night, I'm all yours."

     "I'm sorry for being an ass, but I can't get used to the thought of you going to have dinner with your ex-husband." Kate put her hands on my chest and gave me a quick kiss.

    "You know it's not like that. I swear I wish I had a choice." I hugged her tight, because I couldn't think of a different way of showing her that I was there for her. "And think of it this way: At the end of the night, I'm coming home to you." I left out a breath I didn't know I was holding. The insecurity I was suffering from -because I knew Kate could leave me again any time- was my greatest weakness and also my greatest enemy.

   We both heard the front door opening and Nick's voice calling for Kate, so we headed downstairs. The bastard was wearing a black armani suit and so much perfume that it made me sick.

   "I'm sorry I'm early." I left out a dry laugh and he gave me a killer look.

   "You should be sorry for coming in uninvited... Just saying." The lousy bastard grinned and narrowed his eyes.

   "I didn't think I'd have to be invited into my own house. After all, I've spent four wonderful years here with my wife and her son." Oh, he didn't know what he was getting himself into, but fine... If he wanted to play that game, it was ok with me.

   "And I'm gonna spend a wonderful lifetime with my wife and my son, into our own house. Don't worry! You will have this one back as soon as possible." And that was the truth. I was going to get us a house as soon as I found the right one. Plus, Nick's reaction to my words was absolutely, fucking awsome.

   "She'll never be your wife, Carter! She may love you, but she'll never marry you. She knows better than that." His hissed words pissed me off like nothing else. I glanced at Kate and noticed she was looking at me. She wasn't going to be happy about what I was going to do, but I would deal with that later. Right now... I was going to let out some steam.

   "But she's my wife already, Rowland." And I just couldn't wipe the triumfant grin off my face. Nick stared at me open-mouthedly and then glanced at Kate.

   "Please tell me it's a joke!" Kate shook her head. "You married him?" We both nodded. "We've been divorced for four days and you've married him already?"

   "Actually, we got married three days ago." He reached for her hand and grabbed it. What the fuck? Kate gave me a wary look and I frowned.

   "I'm sorry!" She whispered.

   "So, if you're married, why are you still wearing my rings?" My chest tightened painfully and I looked at Kate.

   "That's right, Kate... If we're married, then why are you wearing his rings?" My jaw and arms tensed and I felt my muscles playing underneath my skin.

   "Nick, shut up! I'm wearing your rings, because you wanted me to pretend I'm still your wife. And if you still want that, you'll shut the fuck up and wait for me in the car!" The fucker did as he was told and Kate stepped closer to me. "I'm sorry! I couldn't have told you, because I'd promised you I'm not going as his wife."

   "And how is that supposed to help? You were going to lie to me either way."

  "Remember that I love you! Just you..."

  "It doesn't help, Kate!" Even I was surprised to hear myself screaming. "This is like a fucking shot through my heart! Now, that bastard thinks you want him back. He thinks that he's still got a chance with you."

  "I only care about what you think."

  "I don't know what to think anymore..."

  "You don't trust me..." And for a moment I thought that maybe I didn't. That after all this time and after everything that has happened, I didn't trust her anymore.

  "And whose fault is it?" Kate took a sharp breath.

  "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to... I don't want to lose you." Her voice was shaky and her hands restless. "I'll be back as soon as possible." She had started to leave, but then she stopped and turned toward me. "You'll be here when I come back, right?" I took a deep breath and nodded. "Good..."

  I heard the engine starting and went to sit down, but I couldn't find my place. Nick was right. This was his house... Their house... And there was not a single place where I could lick my wounds. I took my phone and dialled Andrew. He answered right away.

  "Sir?"

  "I'm sorry to bother you now, Andrew, but something came up and I need your help."

  "Anything, sir!"

  "I want a house. I'm decided to make this Seattle thing permanent. Get me a land and a construction team. The price is not a problem. I'll take care of the rest. Don't make any decisions without consulting me. Got it?"

  "Yes, sir! I'll start tomorrow."

  "Good! Try to find something worth spending my money on."

  'Yes, sir! Have a good night!"

  "You too, Andrew!" I hang up and took a seat on the couch. Ok... I was feeling a little better after that. At least I knew that we weren't going to spend more time than necessary in this house. It didn't help with my bleeding heart, but it was something...