Nights in Vegas

7 hours earlier

"Allow me, Mrs Carter!'' I picked Kate up, before she could say anything and stepped into the room. "Finally! You have no idea how much I wanted to do this." I planted a kiss on her lips and the smile on her face made my heart beat faster.

"Waited to do what? Carry me into a hotel room or marry me?" I left out a laugh and put her down.

"Both..." Taking off my jacket, I placed it on the back of a chair and turned to Kate. She was a vision, still wearing that red dress that was driving me crazy. I poured some champagne into two glasees and handed Kate her's. "Here you go, Mrs Carter! To us!" Kate smiled and raised her glass.

"To us!" She took a sip and frowned.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked, unable to contain my curiosity.

"Everything's perfect. It's just..." She left out a short laugh. "I'm not used to being called Mrs Carter." That reminded me about Nick and my good mood took a wrong turn. Of course she wasn't used to being called Mrs Carter... She was used to being called Mrs R.

"I know it's gonna take time, but you will get used to it, and I'm gonna help you, Mrs Carter." Kate let out another laugh and stood up, coming toward me. She put her hand on my chest and kissed me softly. My body reacted to her touch and I had to moan. "You're mine!" I growled and my arms tightened around her.

"I'm yours." Her aknowledgement settled into my mind and I felt like a fucking king, now that I had my queen. I possessively grabbed her ass and Kate left out a delicious sound.

"Luck..." She whispered and that brought back some very unwanted memories, because the last time she had called me that, was the time before she left me. I took a few steps back and she gave me a searching look. "Lucas? What's wrong?"

"Nothing... I just remembered something I've been trying really hard to forget." But the thing is, it wasn't just a memory... I was vividly reliving the past four years of my life and it sucked. I emptied my glass and wanted to pour another, but Kate took the bottle away from me.

"It's not true and you know it. Please, tell me what's wrong!"

"What makes you think there's something wrong?" I was refusing to look at her, because that would've only made things worse.

"Lucas, why won't you look at me? Did I do something?" I finally glanced at her and the look on her face broke my heart in two. "Please! Tell me what happened. You've turned into a block of ice all of a sudden." I took a deep breath.

"Why did you marry Nick?" She seemed taken aback.

"Does it matter anymore? I'm yours now. I've always been..."

"I can't make you tell me, but I'd like to know. And since we're here, I'd also like to know why you left me four years ago. And actually, I'd like to know everything, Kate."

"I..." She stopped, appearently searching for the right words. In the end, Kate just sighed in a defeated way. "You know why I left and I can't go back there. It's bad enough that I had to go through that once." She stopped again, waiting for me to nod. "I married Nick one year later, because people were starting to talk and I needed a cover up for me and Luck. He's never asked anything of me and after a while I found myself getting used to it. Plus, he's been good to Luck. That was important to me back then, because our son was all I had left from you." Tears sarted spilling from her eyes and it became hard for me to breathe, but I had to know everything and this was my chance to find some answers to my questions.

"Did you know you were pregnant when you left?"

"I only found out when I got to the airport and it was too late for me to back down. You have no idea how hard it's been not to call and tell you everything, but I was afraid of your reaction. I was afraid hearing you would break me..." I closed my eyes for a brief moment.

"Did he touch you?" I whispered.

"Not a single time. Not in that way. You are the only one..."

"What did you tell our son?"

"I told him that his daddy had to go for a while and that Nick would take care of us until he'd come back." I nodded my head.

"Then it's good that I'm back." I somehow managed to smile and pulled Kate into my arms. Her sobs were making her whole body shake and I picked her up, taking her to the bed and laying her down. I sat next to her and my hand started travelling up and down her back. "It's ok."

"No, it's not. We could've been toghether all this time and instead of that I've ruined everything."

"We're toghether now. That's all that matters."

"But how do I know you won't run? How do I know I won't make you run?"

I left out a harsh laugh.

"I've spent four years looking for you. I should be an idiot to run, now that I've found you." She grabbed my hand and I kissed her knuckles. I've noticed Nick's rings had left a fine pattern on her finger and decided to replace that pattern as soon as possible. I was going to wipe the idiot from her life. From our past... And present... Kate was mine and she was going to stay that way from now on. Her hand was squeezing mine, her body squirming, trying to mold into mine and uncontrollable sobs came out of her chest. You see what you've done with your questions, you bastard? My subconscious started snarling and it was the last thing I needed. "It's ok, Kate. I'm here. I'm not leaving you. Never." I held her tighter, whispering all kinds of soothing words into her ear, until her body relaxed and her breathing evened out.

I carefully undressed her and tried to go to sleep myself, but I found that impossible. Glancing at my watch, I noticed it was around 4 am. I stood up, thinking it was pointless to keep trying to fall asleep now. I wrote a quick note for when Kate woke up, put the breakfast menu on the coffee table, where I knew she would find it, got dressed and headed out. First thing to do... Getting some rings for me and Kate. Second... Making up for ruining the evening. But most important of all... Showing her how much I still loved her, no matter what she'd said-because I knew how much guilt she was gonna feel in the morning and it honestly made me sick to my stomach. Hurting her was like hurting myself...