It takes two to tango

"You're gonna have to be more specific, Lucas. I've done lots of things." I answered to him, frowning.

     "You fired Gina!" So that was it... I left out a breath, feeling relieved.

     "Yes." I answered simply and his eyes widened.

     "What do you mean, "yes"?" His brows forrowed.

     "Honestly, Lucas, what can I mean by "yes"? Of course I fired her. You were about to sleep with her." I spat the words out and he froze.

     "Oh my God!" Lucas dove his hands into his hair and went to the couch. After sitting down, he glanced at me. "I remember... You weren't supposed to see me like that..." I couldn't help the dry laugh that escaped my lips. Lucas gave me a puzzled look.

     "You said that last night."

     "I..." He shook his head. "I didn't mean to..."

     "I know. I just... I had to fire her. I didn't even pay much thought to it." I sat next to him and he looked at me.

     "I'm confused, Kate. You don't want people to know that we're married and you go to dinner with your ex-husband -pretending to be his wife- but you get mad if I go out with other women." I llifted my eyebrows incredulously.

     "You didn't go out with another woman, Lucas. You were about to sleep with her."

     "But I didn't sleep with her!" He almost screamed. "Damn it, Kate! It was just a kiss or two."

     "Maybe, but you would've if I didn't make it on time." Tears stung my eyes and I stood up. "Look! Hire her back if that's what you want. Do as you please! It's not like it's any of my business, right?" He stood up as well and reached for me, but I stepped away. "I'm sorry for making such a decision, especially since it wasn't my place to do that!" I turned my back on him and started for my desk, but I felt his arms sneaking around my waist and pulling me to him.  

     "I don't want her back. All I want is you." His lips went to my ear and he softly kissed me.

     "It's funny! I remember saying the exact same thing to you." I felt him wince.

     "You already have me, but I still have to fight for you, Kate! I'm getting tired..." He whispered and tears took over my eyes.

    "What are you trying to say?" 

    "What I'm saying, Kate, is that I love you and that I'll fight for you forever if that's what it takes to get you, but it takes two to tango. I need you to at least meet me halfway." I nodded and he turned me around so that I could see him. "I'm sorry about last night!"

    "It's ok. I hurt you and you only wanted to hurt me back."

    "I love you! I shouldn't want to hurt you at all."

    "You weren't yourself..."

    "That's not an excuse."

    "Yes, it is, because you would never hurt me." He smiled a little.

    "You didn't run... Why?"

    "Because I love you too, you idiot! And if the fact that you ran me over with a motorcycle didn't make me run, nothing will make me run anymore." Once again, Lucas froze.

    "You knew..." He whispered.

    "Of course I knew." He kissed my hair and hugged me tight.

    "You have no idea how much I love you!" He said and let me go. "I need to go. I'll be home at around 6." He opened the door and I saw Molly standing in the doorway. "Oh, and Kate! You might wanna tell your assistant to just let me in from now on. It would make my job a hell of a lot easier." He smiled at me and out he was.