Bite the bullet

"Mr Carter, they're all here, sir." Andrew announced and I turned to look at Kate. She was wearing a beautiful, fitted blue dress, her hair gathered up in an amazing ponytail, but her skin was pale and her hands were shaking.

    "Ready?" I asked, going next to her and putting my arms around her shoulders. She took a deep breath and nodded.

    "Just don't let go of my hand, please!" Kate whispered and I kissed her hair.

    "Never." We walked hand in hand down the hallway, both getting our strenght from eachother. The door to the conference room was closed and I peeked at Kate. "All you have to do is say the words and we're out of here. Remember that!" She slightly nodded and her whole body tensed. I took that as a sign to open the door and did exactly so. The entire room fell silent, allowing me and Kate to say our hellos and even to get to our seats. Andrew was already there, watching me and Kate making our way through the crowd and giving us a small smile. Kate's assistant, Molly, was also there, looking just as pale as Kate was.

    I allowed Kate to sit first and then took my seat, next to her, as well -never letting go of her hand. I nodded my head at Andrew.

    "You may start asking your questions." His voice rang into the room and it started... Dozens of voices asking dozens of question, none of which I could understand. "One question at a time, please!" Andrew yelled over the noise and things settled down a bit. Seconds later, a reporter from the back of the room stood up and asked his question.

    "Mrs Carter, is it true that you've been married before?" And just as I thought, they were trying to get to me through Kate. She squeezed my hand and forced a smile.

    "Yes, that is correct." Another reporter, a woman this time, stood up.

    "And is it true that you've married Mr Carter right after you got divorced?" Another forced smile.

    "Yes, that is correct as well." The woman gave Kate a malicious smile.

    "Does that mean you've had an affair with Mr Carter during your previous marriage?" Kate froze, her body tensing.

   "No. Nothing's happened between me and Mr Carter during my previous marriage."

    "Then how can you explain that...?" I glanced at Andrew, my jaw clenched and he understood what I needed him to do.

    "I think that's enough. Do we have any other questions?" He said, cutting the bitch off. Another man stood up and looked at me.

    "Mr Carter, how did you and your wife meet?" I looked at Kate and smiled fondly at her. If I told this people that I first saw her the day I hit her with my motorcycle, what were the chances for them to believe me?

   "We've met four years ago, during a business dinner. I was there with my father and she was there with her family, but we... kept in touch." I smirked and she left out a short laugh.

   "But then your wife got married to another man. How can you explain that?" I smiled again.

   "I can't explain it. All I can say is that I was stupid enough to lose her once. It will never happen again." I bent over Kate's chair and kissed her, giving everybody what they were here for -the chance to snap some pictures of the two of us.

   "Mrs Carter!" A woman's voice called from the back of the room. "Is it true that you have a son with your ex-husband?" My heart stood still and Kate gasped. I glanced at Andrew again and nodded my head at him.

   "No, it's not true. The only son Mrs Carter has is also my son and you can see that for yourselves." Andrew took out the papers that said that Luck was my son indeed and everybody rushed toward us. "Like I said, Mrs Carter's only son is our son." Kate gave me a worried look and squeezed my hand again. "I had to do something. I knew they were going to ask you that." I whispered into her ear.

   "And how is this going to help? What will they say of me?" She whispered back. I gently caressed her face and she relaxed a little.

   "They can't afford to say anything bad about you. If they try, I'll make sure they won't have a workplace anymore. And by workplace, Kate, I mean the entire company. Whoever tries to fuck with us is going down. Ok? I'll make sure of that." She seemed pleased and nodded. "Trust me when I say they'll only write what we say. After all, they don't want to break the terms of the contract they signed." Kate raised her eyebrows and I smirked.

    "We've only got time for two more questions." Andrew announced.

    "Did your ex-husband know about the baby? That it wasn't his?" A young, curvy redhead asked. Kate took a deep breath.

    "Yes, he knew..."

    "And was he ok with that?" Kate paled even more, if possible.

    "He loved both me and my son." She said, her voice a little weak.

    "That was it, ladies and gentlemen! Thank you for coming!" Andrew said and we all stood up.

    On our way out, reporters practically jumped us, asking all kinds of questions.

   Mrs Carter, do you love Mr Carter more than you loved your ex-husband?

   Mr Carter, have you had any other relationships with women during Mrs Carter's previous marriage?

   And so on, but we didn't really answer any of those questions.

   Once we got out and I could finally breathe normally, I pulled Kate into my arms.

   "Are you ok?"

   "I've been better."

   "I'm sorry you've had to go through this."

   "I'm not... We've finally set things straight." I glanced at her, noticing she was smiling.

   "You're... An amazing woman!"

   "And you only see that now?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

   "Come, Mrs Carter!" I said, placing one of my hands on the small of her back. "I've shared you for long enough. I want you all to myself now."

  "So we're done with this?" Kate asked, sighing.

   "Yes, baby! We bit the bullet and now we're free." I smiled at her and she knitted her fingers with mine. Oh, yes! She was my Paradise and now everyone knew it.