Too bad

I heard Kate's footsteps and that woke me up. Yawning, I stood up and went toward her.

    "How was your night?" I asked, standing behind her and she gasped.

    "It was good. What are you doing up so late?" She tried to fake a smile and hugged me, but no matter how hard I wanted to, I couldn't hug her back.

    "Is it done? Did you tell them?" Kate stepped away from me and headed to the kitchen, so I followed her. "Kate! You didn't answer my question. Did you tell them?"

    "Tell who?"

    "His parents, Kate!" My voice was a little harsh, but I knew it was the only way of making her tell me the truth.

    "Not yet, but Nick said he's gonna take care of this first thing in the morning. We couldn't find the right moment tonight."

    "Yeah, right..."

    "Fine... Don't believe me! It's not like I gave you any reasons to trust me."

    "It's him I don't trust and you know it." She gave me a sad smile and my heart sunk.

   "I don't trust him anymore either." Kate reached and kissed me and I could smell the sucker's perfume on her. I stepped back immediatelly, using my entire self control not to throw up.

   "Do you have something else to tell me?" She swallowed hard.

   "You were right. It was a mistake to go there as his wife. I'm sorry!" Her voice was breathy and anxious. I grimaced, unable to contain my anger any longer. 

   "Too bad I didn't warn you, right? Oh, wait! I did!" Kate's cheeks were soaked in tears, but I had my damn heart to avange right now, so I went on. "You know what's really too bad? The fact that I've been looking for you for so long. The fact that I love you more than anyone else. The fact that I think I litterally can't live without you. It's too bad I've set my hopes so high for us." I felt tears burning my own eyes and hurried to leave. I couldn't let her see me like that. I couldn't let her see what she could do to me. So I had no other choice, but to go for a while.

    "Please, don't go! Don't leave me! Please!" Her whispered words made my heart crawl into my stomach.

   "I'll come back when I'll have something really mine to come back to. I can't do this anymore, Kate! It feels like you're ashamed of being my wife. I'm afraid you'll just get tired of me one day and leave again and that I won't be able to do anything that would make you stay. That's what I fear the most and you're not doing anything that could make me stop feeling that way. So I need to go. You know where to find me when you're ready to come clean about us."

   So I left. I left without looking back and without spilling a tear. I left because that was the only thing that could've helped me stop feeling like shit.