Chapter Twelve: Live

Ryan, Charles, Michael, Isaiah, Trent, Drake, and about a fourth of the high school was standing around the track and on the outskirts of the bleachers. They all watched as crime scene tape was I stretched from all four corners of the bleachers, where it surrounded the track.

"Hey, Drake," Isaiah muttered behind him. Trent and Drake looked back at him.

"I found some stuff out for you guys."

Michael and Trent practically herded Isaiah past the crowd gathering at the track, followed by Ryan, Charles, and Drake.

Michael looked back at Ryan and Charles, "Hey, guys, can we meet you at the Whataburger? We have to deal with something real quick."

Ryan pulled Charles from moving, "Why? Is it about Luke?"

Trent sighed, "Can we please just meet you there?"

Ryan stared at them while Charles just said, "C'mon, let's just walk there. They have to do something and I'm HUNGRY."

Eventually, Ryan gave in hesitantly. Michael and Trent turned back to Isaiah and Drake.
Drake was distant, barely listening to what had just happened. He was looking down with crossed arms.

"Drake, hey, you listening bud?" Isaiah tapped his shoulder. Drake looked at him, did a double-take, and nodded.

Michael and Trent glanced at each other nervously.

"You guys should relax, I've got good news." Isaiah started, "According to my research, it's not a crime to not report a death. Plus, since this was an accident, I'm sure they'll treat it like someone just had an asthma attack; nobody's fault."

Trent shook his head, "But you saw the police tape, didn't you? That is Crime Scene Tape. You of all people should know that means there was a crime committed."

"Sometimes they also use it so people won't go by it."

"But there's nothing there to be worried about!"

Michael looked at Trent, "You're right, what evidence could there possibly if it was a natural bodied...you know, it was an asthma attack."

Isaiah looked down like Drake had been doing before. "You know, you're right." He began walking back to the crowd, slightly off to a police car.

"Oh my God, what is he doing?" Michael said to himself. Drake put his arm around Trent's, causing Trent to look down at his worried face.

"What's up, Duck?" Trent asked, putting his hand on Drake's. Drake didn't say anything, but all three of them watched Isaiah closely. He had gotten the attention of an officer putting police tape into the car and had struck a conversation with him. After talking to him for a minute or so, he passed through the crowd of students up to the front. Finally, he came back out and ran to the trio.

"Why'd you have to bother that poor man?" Michael said in a high voice. Trent rolled his eyes at Michael and stepped closer to Isaiah.

"What'd you ask him?" Drake was still attached to his arm like a squid.

"I asked him why the police tape was up if Luke just had an asthma attack. He said that they were 'checking just to make sure'. I asked what that meant and he said he couldn't tell me any more. I checked back with the track to see if I could see anything. It looked like there was stuff on the track. It looked liquid." His eyebrows were furrowed.

"Well...it's not blood, right? I mean, it was an asthma attack." Michael asked, looking between the two boys.

Isaiah shrugged, "In some movies, people bleed from their mouth when they die."