Chapter Twenty-Two: Kidnapping

"What does that mean then?" Aiden Rorek's father asked, looking between Vega and Isaiah, knowing they knew something he didn't.

"It means I have to talk to my sergeant and try to get him to change this to a murder case." Vega turned before Isaiah put his hand on his shoulder.

"Wait," He said, "We don't know for sure if Trent killed him. Why don't we interrogate him first? Isn't that like an entire protocol?"

"Yes, but I still need to tell my superior why I'm going to interrogate a boy who may have killed our suicide victim. Cause then it's not a suicide, now is it?"

"I want to be there for it," Isaiah said, finally setting Taco on the ground.

"So do I." Mr. Rorek said after Isaiah. "I want to know what happened to my son." His face was distressed, looking between them with furrowed eyebrows.

Vega sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I don't think any of this is at all professional."

"Do it when you're off-duty. Then it's not work." Isaiah shrugged.

"That's not how that works- I- I can't just-" Vega growled.

"I'll just find this kid myself if it's not done otherwise." Mr. Rorek was technically talking to himself, looking at the pavement, but Vega stared at him all the same. This happens in movies like Law Abiding Citizen, where the parent gets revenge for the death of a family member. 

With a glance at his superior officer, Vega turned back to the two and got closer, whispering, "I'm off-duty tomorrow. Both of you can try and come with me to question your friend." He aimed the your friend part at Isaiah.

"That is if they haven't run away yet," Isaiah added whilst Taco made himself friendly with Vega, rubbing himself on his legs.

"Dammit, Isaiah, why did you bring your cat to the crime scene?" Vega moved away from the cat, obviously discomforted.

"You see, Officer, I didn't know there was a crime scene until I was already walking him. And once again, his name is Taco."

"I refuse to call your cat Taco. That's so weird."

"Hey, I was nine when I named him! You make something better up for him, Taco is wonderful." Isaiah picked Taco up from the ground and coddled him in his arms.

Mr. Rorek sighed, frustrated, "I'm glad the police force is worried about the important stuff. You know, cats and shit."

"What a motto," Vega spoke to himself, "Cats and shit."

-----

Drake sat in class, leaning on his palm and looking at the clock. The teacher was droning on about economics in South America, you know, nothing important to him. His eyes were fluttering open and shut, desperately trying not to fall asleep. And then Luke came, once again. 

The form of Luke, with his sunken eyes, sat on top of the teacher's desk drumming his fingers on it. He grinned at Drake, making his heart shrink inside of him. With another long blink of his eyes, Luke disappeared. He really needed to get a therapy appointment. 

"Now," The teacher, Mr. Hodgson, began, "who can tell me the difference between a coordinate covalent bond and a polar covalent bond?"

A few hands went up, but Drake was too focused on the blue and red lights flashing outside the window. There were cops outside, Drake could tell from occasional voices yelling. And the lights, of course. Drake immediately raised his hand.

"Yes, Drake?" Mr. Hodgson said with a bit of surprise. Drake was usually a quiet kid in class. 

"May I please go to the restroom?" The teacher sighed and nodded, pointing at the classroom door with his thumb. Quickly, and with astonishing swiftness, Drake slipped his backpack on and speed-walked out the door. He didn't know why no one questioned the fact that he took his backpack with him, but the important part is that no one did.