Parting

"Netherlands!" you called out for him angrily, stomping through his living room with a fiery glare

"Don't shout, what is it?" he answered calmly from the dining chair while reading a newspaper, his careless attitude contradicting to your anger just seems to add fuel to the fire inside you.

"I demand you to return me to my country!" you shouted at the Dutch before you.

"I'm afraid that wouldn't be possible, that would go against my agreement with your mother"

"What business contract?! This is madness!" you slammed your hand on the table. "I am not an object nor a price you can keep for colonizing my country! Not after all you've done!"

You must be wondering how did it end up like this, well it all started before you meet Netherlands on that fateful day...

It was a hot day as usual and you were in the fields with your mother plucking tea leaves. This was your everyday routine, tending the fields early on at dawn, until the end of the day where you will get a reward from your mother for your hard work. Both of you work this hard not by choice but by obligation. Certain requirements of produce needed to be met to avoid getting hurt. And as you're old enough now, you started to help your mother in the fields. She' the only one you have in this world, and you could have never asked for anything more.

Living in a secluded part of the mountains means that you don't have many people walking around to visit you, other than for traiding purposes. This cause you to live your life without friends to converse with other than your mother. You personally wouldn't mind as you know as much as her that the outside world is not safe right now, especially with the dutch roaming around.

"Mother, for who we're giving all these tea leaves for?" You asked while looking down at the baskets of tea leaves your mother and you had collected from the field.

"This is for a friend of mine," she answered while wiping the sweat off her forehead with her arm "he will be taking these leaves and sell them to other countries"

"Why would he ask for this much tea leaves?" Your curious mind asked while your mother struggled to find the right way to answer your question.

" He needed the money because of... Important reasons...." she answered hesitantly to which you decided not to pry further. Wanting to avert your attention out of the topic at hand, your mother takes out of your reward out of her traveling basket. This was always your favorite part of the day, eating your mother's homemade dessert.

"Klepon!" you exclaimed happily as your mother offered you the small green colored rice cake covered with coconut shreds. Poping the small desert into your mouth, you let out a satisfied hum as you bite into the desert to savor the taste. The chewy rice cake, accompanied by the crunchy tiny coconut shreds, and completed with the sweetness of the palm sugar filling. You squealed happily as you gave your mother a big hug, thanking her for the snack she bought you two. Returning your display of affection, your mother hugs you back while gently patting your head.

Although you don't have much, it was times like this that makes you feel like you're complete. What you had then was enough to keep you happy for a lifetime, you wouldn't want nor need anything more. If only things could stay just the way it was...

"(Y/n)..." Your mother calls you gently while stroking your hair between her fingers, "You do know that I love you, right?" she asked to which you answer with a nod. "You do know that no matter what I will be by your side, right?" you nodded once again, wondering why did she bring this up now. "You do know that I always did what's best for you, right?" you nodded for one last time before you felt her grip on you tighten, and wet substance started to drip on your shoulder.