Where from Here

After your arrival back at east indies, you're supposed to meet a specific pair of individuals who are arranged to meet you at a village near your old house. Those two individuals are none other than east indies' nationalist, named Soekarno and Hatta.

They talked about how the Japanese will be a strong Ally for them towards the first step to Independence. According to the nationalists, the Japanese have agreed that they will lend a helping hand, in return we have to swear loyalty towards them. You only respond to their conversation with a smile despite knowing for a fact the Japanese have a hidden agenda.

From your brief conversation with them, you learned a lot regarding the two, especially Soekarno. He talked to you regarding his hopes and dreams for the nation, with a detailed plan of things he would do and changes he would make to help the nation prosper.

Listening to his hopes and dreams for the nation, you can't help but feel warm inside. His thoughtfulness, smarts, and his caring nature, it's the very thing that will help this nation prosper for the better. You secretly prayed to god, hoping that this man will one day lead this nation to prosperity, let his ideas came to fruition. Let him weave this country's fate, and may the future be kind to him. I beg of you.

In your exchange between one another, you learned that In mid-1933, Sukarno, one of the two nationalists, published a series of writings titled "Mentjapai Indonesia Merdeka", which translates to "To Attain Independent for Indonesia".

"Indonesia...", you thought to yourself out loud. Is that what they called this nation nowadays? Is it something they did recently? I don't think I have ever heard of it, yet why does it sound so... familiar? Like that name... has a special place in your heart.

"Because of that, I was arrested by the Dutch police because when I was visiting a fellow nationalist, hahahahaha" Soekarno laugh lightheartedly, despite talking about a serious matter.

"We foresaw a Pacific War" Hatta mentioned in a slightly more serious tone, compared to Soekarno. "We think that the Japanese advance on pushing the dutch away might present an opportunity for our independence".

Looking at your slightly confused face, Soekarno gave you a friendly smile while landing his hand on your shoulder to reassure you. "I'm sorry, forgive this old man, this type of political conversation may not be suited for a little girl like you."

"I don't mind, you are welcome to continue. Besides I did miss a lot on my absence" you said, convincing them to continue on their story, feeling interested in the recent events. "And with all due respect Mr Soekarno, you're not that old", you laugh along with him.

You soon learn from Soekarno himself that only as recent as last year, Soekarno along with his entourage was marched, bussed and trucked for as long as 300 kilometres by the dutch who intended to keep him as a prisoner to ship him to Australia.

Luckily though, he manages to escape the ordeal because of the Japanese interference. It was rather peculiar as to why the Japanese had files regarding the nationalist, but the Japanese commander in Sumatra approached him with respect.

Without voicing your thoughts, you felt that something is definitely off. It was rather surprising to hear that a Japanese commander actually showed respect for the nationalist. Whether it's truly genuine or not, you felt like they had a hidden intention as to why they go as far as saving Soekarno, who was a nationalist. They must have a hidden intention.

And your guess was spot on as soon as Soekarno explained that they requested him to organize and pacify the people here. It soon falls on you that it seems like they really didn't respect him as a person, they respect him as a tool instead to assist them. But who can tell really, other than the person who gave the respect in the first place?