Memories and Promises

You were first surprise at the topic he was about to talk about. You quickly sat up straight, ready to listen to him.

He took a sigh to go through everything in his head before taking out his pipe only to receive a glare from you. He understood quite well that you didn't really like the smell of smoke at all thus he refrain himself from using it, only holding it in his hand and set it in his mouth every once a while.

"I will tell you about the deal but I must remind you that there will be things that you're not allowed to know just yet". You nodded your head, with eyes filled with curiosity and determination. "Long story short, your mother helped me get out of debt after Belgium left me". He spoke with a little hint of sadness before it covered itself up once again.

"Get you out of debt? How? We don't have much to begin with?"

"And that is where you are wrong. Your country had the perfect soil and weather temperature, for us to plant various spices and much more. Those spices cost a fortune for us when we export it to different countries. Even your country's coffee beans and tea leaves are on high demand on the market, to the point that countries like the United Kingdom purchase more than a few boats of tea leaves only."

Your eyes widen at the fact. You never considered your country to be rich before, and you would have never considered that your lush lands are very beneficial for Netherland's economy. If only your country is strong enough to push Netherland away from your territory, then you would be able to compete and rebuild your country.

But now, unfortunately, you and your beloved country are under the hands of the dutch, and there's no escaping that. Suddenly realization strikes you as to why you and your mother has been collecting tea leaves like crazy on the few days before your departure.

"What does that have to do with me being here?" you asked, a bit weary.

"If you are thinking that you are here to get me out of debt then you are mistaken" he sighed before continuing his explanation, "as you can see, I am not in debt anymore. On the contrary, I am now rich because of the resources your country provide me with"

"You mean the resources you rob from our country" you mumbled incoherently, cutting his explanation. Not expecting him to hear from you.

"God, I really should teach you some manners. The two were right, you are getting barbaric the longer you stayed here." he gave you a disapproving look but decided to drop that topic for now. Hoping that Lithuania's suggestion to give you a bit more freedom and attention would change your worsening behavior to how it used to be.

"Back to the topic at hand, you being here was just a favor I'm willing to do to return for all that she has provided for me." pausing a bit, he rethinks the sentence he's about to speak. Making sure he won't accidentally spill out too much. "Your mother sent you here to protect you" he briefly explains while walking towards the window, looking at the tulips outside.

"Protect me from what?" you pressed further the question that's been haunting you.

"I will not say why but the Dutch army are on a search for you. That is actually the first reason as to why that you and your mother are living in a scheduled area, instead of the palace."

"The palace? Why would I be in the palace?" you asked a bit surprised and confused.

"Ah, it's just a slip of my mouth, pay no mind to it." he dismisses it quickly before continuing his explanation, and if that word was never mentioned in the first place. "You were not old enough to defend yourself, and the search for you is getting quite aggressive as the days pass by. So your mother came up with an idea, to hide you where they least expected you to be..."