Part 13

Jade stood awkwardly beside the bar sipping her lime soda. The bartender had been puzzled when she gave a different order than her usual, especially since it was nonalcoholic. Jade was majorly regretting her decision when her mother started walking towards her.

"Jade dear, I'd like you to come meet someone." Norma said softly, already taking Jade by the elbow and leading her over to a group of people. Jade could tell the were scientists by how they stood. The discomfort from their tight clothes and the impractical fabric was written across their faces. All but one who had their back turned. She was wearing a tight red dress that sparkled, and she had jewels woven between the braids of her hair. Her posture was relaxed in a confident way, like she knew how to play these types of events; as if it was second nature. A lump formed in Jade's throat as they approached. There was no way that could be Perrie.

"I would like to introduce my daughter Jade. Jade, this is our leading research team on genetic engineering."

Jade tried to hide her disappointment when the blonde turned around. It wasn't her Perrie.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Miss, I'm Dr. Johnson. Your mother has told us so much about you." A man with soft hands stepped forward to shake hers.

"Charmed." Jade responded with all the poise and grace that she had been taught to use in places like this. 

"This is our youngest researcher, she graduated top of her class with honors." Norma motioned towards the mysterious (but not her mysterious) blonde. She put a polite smile on and stuck out her hand.

"Dr. Kiernan Shipka, you can call me Kiernan." As soon as their hands touched Jade had an uneasy feeling in her gut, and an uncomfortable thought nagging at the back of her mind. There was something about this girl and her perfect mannerisms that seemed manufactured. Though her tone was genuine her eyes held a completely different sentiment. Maybe that's why her dress sparkled; it was to distract onlookers from reading her.

But Jade knew that look, it was something they had in common.

"Your mother was just telling us that you agreed to join the family business." Johnson stated. Jade blinked at the man for a second but then recovered.

"Yes, though it's not as important as what you do." She flattered, watching with amusement as the group was bolstered from her compliment.

"Being an ambassador of the Thirlwall science division is an important political role. Without you it would be harder to convince the outlying colonies to partner with us." Norma added. Jade smiled kindly at her mother for the sake of those around her. How could they not see that she was only trying to make the job look more important. She would do anything to make sure that people believed a lie, Jade wasn't important. She was for show, to add to the grandness of Thirlwall Inc. and to the family itself. Her mother didn't care about her passions or her pain. She only cared that she looked like she had her life together.

"I'm going to step out for a smoke. Would you care to join me?" Dr. Shipka asked, pausing Jade's rage just in time.

"Sure." Jade replied with a thankful smile, wondering if the blonde could read her mind. "You can tell me about your work on Station 6."

"It's pretty boring actually," Kiernan chuckled as they made there way towards the balcony. "And I only work on Station 6 part time."

"So what else do you do?" Jade asked as she leaned on the ledge. The cool air was refreshing to her lungs, even if it wasn't as clean as the jungle air she had gotten used to.

"Well," She takes a cigarette from her pack and brings it to her lips to light it, continuing after she takes a drag. "My father was a scientist, which was really why I became one. He was working on a couple different things that I've been privileged enough to take over... but he passed away a few years ago."