Chapter 1

“Come on let’s go play!” “Ok, wait up Blossomkit!” “You’re too slow Sootkit.” Two kits, Blossomkit and Sootkit, were enjoying the sunshine that was shining down on them in Greenleaf. Blossomkit’s mother, Swift-talon, and Sootkit’s mother, Rosesong, were watching the kits, making sure the play didn’t get too rough. Swift-talon and Rosesong each had two kits, but Rosesong’s were a bit older. Swift-talon’s kit Sweetkit was too shy to play though, and Rosesong’s kit Dark-kit was too busy watching the apprentice’s. Suddenly their leader Birchstar called a meeting. “Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey come to me here beneath the tallstump to have a meeting” Birchstar yowled. Blossomkit watched the warriors and apprentices go to the tallstump, oh how she wished she was old enough to join them. Then Blossomkit noticed Sootkit was bouncing up and down and acting really excited. Blossomkit remembered that Sootkit was a moon older than her and that tonight he was going to become an apprentice. She was glad Sootkit was becoming an apprentice, but she was sad because she would miss playing with him. “Today two kits will receive their apprentice names, Sootkit come forward.” Birchstar went on with the meeting. Blossomkit watched sadly as Sootkit walked up and jumped on to high stump. “Sootkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Sootpaw. Your mentor will be Grayfur. I hope Grayfur will pass down all he knows to you. Grayfur come forward.” Blossomkit was now extra jealous of Sootpaw. That looked fun and she knew Grayfur was a great warrior. “Grayfur, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You had received excellent training from Sandstone, and you have shown yourself to be strong and loyal. You will be the mentor of Sootpaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Sootpaw.” Blossomkit sighed, Sootpaw was now officially an apprentice. Blossomkit continued to watch as Dark-kit became Darkpaw and became the apprentice of Sharpeye. Blossomkit knew life would be different from now on. She would sleep away from Sootpaw, have to play less active games with Sweetkit, and Sootpaw would make brand new friends without her. Sootpaw came over to say goodbye to his mother and to Blossomkit. “I guess you are Sootpaw now” Blossomkit said. “I know isn’t it great!” Sootpaw said excitedly. “Yes, but I’ll miss playing with you.” Blossomkit replied. “Oh, yeah.” Sootpaw sadly said. “Cheer up though! You get to be an apprentice!” Blossomkit said a bit more cheerful. “You’re right! You’ll be an apprentice soon though so I’ll be able to spend more time with you soon! I have to go see Grayfur now, bye!” “Bye” Blossomkit whispered.