Chapter 3

It was finally here. The day when all her boredom would end, Blossomkit was six moons old. “Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey come to me here beneath the tallstump to have a meeting” Birchstar yowled. Once Birchstar said this Blossomkit started bouncing up and down, but then she saw her sister. “What’s wrong?” Blossomkit asked. “Well I just don’t want to be an apprentice. I mean I don’t want to fight, and you know,  right?” “I guess I understand, but I’m excited to be an apprentice. I’m sure it will get better as you progress.’ Blossomkit assured her. “Maybe.” but Sweetkit didn’t sound so sure. “Blossomkit, come on up.” Birchstar began. “Blossomkit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Blossompaw. Your mentor will be Cloudclaw. I hope Cloudclaw will pass down all he knows to you. Cloudclaw come forward.” Blossomkit was so happy. She had heard of Cloudclaw and Blossompaw admired her. “Cloudclaw, you are ready to take on an apprentice. You had received excellent training from Split-tail, and you have shown yourself to be kind and clever. You will be the mentor of Blossompaw, and I expect you to pass on all you know to Blossompaw.” Then Blossompaw went to sit down with Cloudclaw. “Speckledheart come up.” “Huh? What about Sweetkit?” Blossompaw thought. “Cats of Flower Clan, as you know, I will not be around forever. So it's time I took an apprentice. I have chosen a cat who has shown she is kind and thoughtful” Your next medicine cat will be Sweetkit.” Speckledheart announced. Blossompaw’s jaw dropped. “This would be perfect for Sweetkit!” Blossompaw thought. “Sweetkit, do you accept the post of apprentice to Speckledheart?” Birchstar asked “I do.” answered Sweetkit. “Then you are now known as Sweetpaw, and at the half-moon, you must travel to Moon Lake to be accepted by Star Clan before the other medicine cats.” Speckledheart said, a bit dramatically. “The good wishes of all of  Flower Clan will go with you” Birchstar finished. Immediately Blossompaw went to find her sister. “Now you won’t have to battle! You received such a great honor!” Blossompaw said. “I know! I also get to help keep cats alive!” Sweetpaw who was once quiet and shy was now bouncing up and down rapidly. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Blossompaw was pinned to the ground. When she saw it was Sootpaw she smiled. “Sootpaw! I thought you had forgotten about me.” Blossompaw said. “I could never forget you! I also call introducing you to the other apprentice, Bramblepaw. Don’t worry he’s nice.” Sootpaw was beaming as he said this. “Hey Sootpaw” Bramblepaw yelled. “Bramblepaw! Let me introduce you to Blossompaw.” Sootpaw yelled back. “Coming!” Bramblepaw said as he started towards them. “Bramblepaw this is my fried Blossompaw, I met her when I was a kit. Blossompaw, this is Bramblepaw, my new friend. Of course you’re still my friend.” Sootpaw introduced. “Well I see you’re getting to know the other apprentices.” Blossompaw turned around and saw Cloudclaw. “Well I already knew Sootpaw.” Blossompaw said shyly. “I know. Tomorrow we are going on a border patrol with Grayfur and Sootpaw. I will show you the boundaries of our territory as we patrol. Bramblepaw, Hollyhawk is going to train you to battle some more tomorrow. I’ll leave you guys to talk now.” Cloudclaw said and walked away. “Cool! We get to go on patrol together Blossompaw!” “Yeah!” Blossompaw answered back. “I’m tired! I’m going to go to sleep” yawned Bramblepaw. “Good idea, I’ll show you where to sleep Blossompaw” Sootpaw offered. “Ok!” Sootpaw led Blossompaw to the Apprentice’s den and helped her gather up some moss to make a den. “Will Sweetpaw sleep with us?” Blossompaw asked. “No, I think she sleeps with Speckledheart” Bramblepaw replied. Soon Blossompaw settled in and slept as an apprentice for the first time. “I finally got to see Sootpaw again!” Blossompaw thought, “It can’t get better than this.”