Chapter 7

Blossompaw was rubbing some mouse bile on Snowdapple the oldest elder. Normally she wouldn’t mind doing this with Snowdapple because she told wonderful stories, but today she just wanted to hunt. Suddenly Sparkriver and Silverfeather ran through the camp. “Help! Bravefoot just fell into a fox trap! Come quick!” Immediately Blossompaw, Sootpaw, Birchstar, and a few warriors followed Sparkriver and Silverfeather. They were too late. Bravefoot, the once mighty deputy of Flower Clan was dead. “No.” Blossompaw whispered, “This can’t be happening.” Sootpaw licked Blossompaw on the ear to comfort her. Birchstar just sat there dazed, then she got up. “We must bring him back to camp, Sparkriver, Silverfeather, you carry him.” Sparkriver and Silverfeather did as they were told. Blossompaw was crying the whole way back. When they got their Birchstar went into her den to decide the new deputy, and Blossompaw went into the apprentice den. Swift-talon came in to comfort her. “Stop crying. He will walk with Star Clan now, and he will be honored there. Maybe he’ll walk in your dreams.” Swift-talon said in her gentle motherly tone. Soon Sweetpaw joined them and they all just sat there, crying together. Then Birchstar’s voice broke the silence. “Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey come to me here beneath the tallstump to have a meeting” She waited until all the cats were below her before she spoke. "I say these words before the body of Bravefoot, so that his spirit may hear and approve my choice.” Birchstar paused, “Sharpeye will be the new deputy of Flower Clan." Blossompaw noticed that Darkpaw was trying hard to keep from bouncing up and down. “How dare she!” Blossompaw thought, “How dare she be happy after my father’s death.” Sharpeye bounded up to the top of Tallstump, and gave Birchstar a lick on the shoulder, then he said, “I am honored to receive this rank, but I know I will never be able to compare to what Bravefoot did this for us.” Then he jumped off the tallstump. “At least he knows he can’t beat my father.” Blossompaw thought. Then everyone who was closest to Bravefoot sat vigil for Bravefoot, and none of them talked or slept the whole night. All Blossompaw could think about during this time was about Bravefoot’s mother Wildblossom, and Bravefoot himself.