Chapter 10

Blossompaw woke up to sounds of squeals of excitement. “What’s going on?” she asked tiredly. “Daisyleaf had her kits last night!” Cloudclaw yelled as she hurried by. “Really? That’s great!” Blossompaw went to the nursery to see if she could take a peak. “Do you want to see my kits?” Grayfur asked proudly. “Yes please” Blossompaw answered. “Then go right in” “Thank you.” Blossompaw stepped into the nursery and saw three tiny little kits cuddling with Daisyleaf. “Hello Blossompaw! Do you like my kits?” Daisyleaf asked. “Yes of course! They’re so cute.” Blossompaw replied. “The small calico she-cat that looks like me is Shinekit, and the gray tom that looks like Grayfur is Stonekit, and the small she-cat that has my calico spots, but has gray under it is Littlekit.” Daisyleaf said. “Those are great names.” Blossompaw was saying just as Cloudclaw called Blossompaw for a hunting patrol. “Go on now, don’t want to keep Cloudclaw waiting do we?” Daisyleaf told Blossompaw cheerfully. Blossompaw nodded and ran off to join Cloudclaw. When she got there Sootpaw and Silverfeather were there. “Silverfeather is leading the patrol, and I agreed to take Sootpaw for the day because of the kits.” Cloudclaw explained. “Oh ok!” Blossompaw said cheerfully, she liked hunting with Sootpaw. “I’m thinking we should hunt around Big Tree.” Silverfeather suggested. “Sounds good to me.” Cloudclaw replied. Blossompaw followed the others to Big Tree. Then they stopped and waited. Suddenly Blossompaw smelled mouse. She came into her hunter’s crouch and lifted her haunches. She then carefully approached the mouse. She jumped on it and killed it with a single bite. Then she buried it so she could come back to it later. Cloudclaw gave her a nod, which Blossompaw took it to mean good catch, then Cloudclaw jumped and killed a thrush. The hunt was pretty successful; each cat had caught at least one piece of prey. “Blossompaw, Sootpaw can you change the elder’s bedding then give the elder’s some prey?” Cloudclaw asked, though both apprentices knew it wasn’t really a question. While, Blossompaw went to clear out the old moss Sootpaw brought new moss in. Together they got the job done as fast as you can say rabbit. Then While Sootpaw was spreading the last of the moss Blossompaw brought a nice fresh vole to the elders. “Thanks you too. You always do the job the quickest.” Snowdapple complimented. Blackpelt just grunted. “Your welcome!” Sootpaw and Blossompaw mewed in unison. “Now go, or Blackpelt will claw your ears off.” Snowdapple told them in a teasing way. Blackpelt just grunted again. As Blossompaw and Sootpaw were walking Blossompaw had a thought, “You know Snowdapple is the oldest elder, but Blackpelt always seems grumpier.” “Well Snowdapple probably had a better personality to begin with.” Sootpaw suggested. “I hope so, I don’t want to spend my time complaining when I’m an elder.” Blossompaw said. “Me, too.” Sootpaw agreed as he started to eat one of the mice he had caught, and Blossompaw did the same. “Speckledheart! I need you!” a voice wailed. “What was that?” Blossompaw asked. “It sounded like it came from the nursery” Sootpaw replied. “The nursery? That means something has happened to the kits!” Blossompaw said in despair. “Come on! Let’s go see them!.” Sootpaw said as he took off running. Blossompaw took after him. Bramblepaw who was in the Apprentice’s den jumped out and joined them “Wait up!” he called. When they got there Daisyleaf was furiously licking Littlekit. “Go away all of you!” Speckledheart told the cats gathered around the den. “Can Cloudclaw and Grayfur please stay?” Daisyleaf asked. “Of course.” Speckledheart mewed, “Sweetpaw go and fetch the coltsfoot.” Blossompaw, Sootpaw, and Bramblepaw went out of the nursery. They were sitting in the middle of the camp worrying about what had happen. “Maybe Littlekit had gotten cut?” Bramblepaw suggested. “I’m, no medicine cat, but I know coltsfoot isn’t just for simple cuts.” Blossompaw mewed sadly. “Coltsfoot is used for breath shortages.” Sweetpaw mewed quickly as she walked by with a mouthful of coltsfoot. “Breath shortage! Poor Littlekit! She may not live!”  Blossompaw cried. “Speckledheart is a great medicine cat, she won’t let Littlekit die.” “I guess.” Blossompaw mumbled.