Chapter 16

Blossompaw stretched her eyes open and yawned. She walked outside and noticed there was a crowd around Cloudclaw and Appledew. “What’s going on?” Blossompaw tiredly asked the crowd. “Cloudclaw’s having kits!”  Bramblepath told her. “So now you talk to me?” “Oh, about that, I’m really sorry! I didn’t mean it! It just came over me, like something possessed me!” “Possessed you?” “Yeah, I don’t know why, it just happened.” “Okay then. Did you tell Sootpaw?”

“Yeah he told me.” Blossompaw spun around and saw Sootpaw coming over to them. “I can’t believe that your mentor is having kits! Who’s going to mentor you now?” Blossompaw was shocked, she didn’t realize that she wouldn’t have Cloudclaw as a mentor anymore! Before Blossompaw could reply to Sootpaw, Birchstar called for a clan meeting.

“Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey come to me here beneath the tallstump to have a meeting” Birchstar yowled. “As most of us already know, Cloudclaw is going to have Appledew’s kits. Previously, Cloudclaw was mentoring Blossompaw. Blossompaw will need a new mentor.” Cloudclaw started to protest but Birchstar silenced her. “Cloudclaw, it is for your own good. Blossompaw, come up.” Blossompaw walked up onto the tallstump. It reminded her of when she became an apprentice. “Blossompaw, I have decided who your new mentor will be. It is,” Birchstar paused, “Me.”

Blossompaw couldn’t speak, all she could do was go up and respectably lick Birchstar’s shoulder. She climbed off the high stump where Bramblepath and Sootpaw were waiting for her. “Meeting dismissed.” Birchstar said. “I can’t believe you get to be Birchstar’s apprentice!” Sootpaw happily said. “It’s is cool, but I’ll miss Cloudclaw.”

“Blossompaw!” Cloudclaw called. Blossompaw walked over to her. “I’m sorry I couldn’t finish your apprenticeship. “It’s ok Cloudclaw! You were a great mentor!” Cloudclaw smiled, “I’ll make sure to let you name one of my kits. I’m so happy you got Birchstar, you really deserve it.” Blossompaw purred, “Thank you!” “Now go on my dear, your mother is waiting for you!” “Okay, bye Cloudclaw!” “Bye Blossompaw.”

“Oh Blossompaw, I’m so happy for you.” Swift-talon was purring the whole time. “Thanks mom!” “Congratulations Blossompaw!” Sweetpaw congratulated her as she walked up. Bramblepath and Sootpaw both walked up to her, “Hey! Don’t forget about us!” “I never will!” Blossompaw was cheerful, her family and her friends were there, and she got the leader as a mentor. “Congratulations Blossompaw.” Blossompaw was startled, she had felt the presence of her father in the waking world.