Chapter 6

Blossompaw found it really hard to talk to Sweetpaw now. Every time she tried to talk with her Sweetpaw tried to end the conversation. Blossompaw was really worried, but she tried to get over it. Cloudclaw taught her all these new things, like how to hunt and fight. Today she was going on another patrol with Sootpaw. They were just coming around the border when Blossompaw smelled something. “Do you smell that?” she asked “I don’t smell anything.” Cloudclaw replied. “Just smell.” “You’re right!” That’s Night Clan scent.” Sure enough they spotted a grey cat hiding in a pile of mud. “Why are you here?” Cloudclaw growled. “Get off our territory” Grayfur said calmly. “Oh! This is your territory? I didn’t notice.” The cat said sarcastically. “Who are you?” Sootpaw asked. “Why I’m Silverfur. I’m just here to claim our new territory.” Suddenly more cats from Night Clan came into sight. Among them was the deputy, Duskclaw. “What do you mean by new territory?” Grayfur said sternly. “You know” Duskclaw said, “taking over your territory.” Then The Night Clan cats attacked. Luckily a Flower Clan hunting patrol was nearby so there were more cats. Among them was Darkpaw, Bramblepaw, Hollyhawk, Sharp-eye, and Bravefoot. Blossompaw was lashing at all the cats she could get to. She was using all the moves Cloudclaw had taught her so far, like the leap and hold move and back kick. Sootpaw was battling with Silverfur, but as she was bigger, Silverfur gave him a nasty cut. Blossompaw managed to trick Duskclaw, and didn’t even realize it was her. Duskclaw was surprised, and because of the fact she was tricked by an apprentice she yelled “Retreat!” and the Night Clan cats left. After the battle Cloudclaw came up to her, “You know you were the one who stopped the battle right?” “What do you mean?” Blossompaw asked. “That cat you tricked was the deputy, and that’s good.” “You think so?” Cloudclaw nodded “I know so.”  As they were walking back Blossompaw was talking with Sootpaw and Bramblepaw. “Are you ok” she asked “That cuts looks really bad.” “I’ll be fine. You did really good tricking Duskclaw like that.” “Well I didn’t know it was her so it was easier than it would be if I knew it was her…” Blossompaw’s voice trailed off. “I think you could be deputy Blossompaw. I mean you tricked a deputy, and not long after your apprenticeship” Bramblepaw inputted. “Thanks, but I don’t think so.” Bravefoot came to the group of apprentices. “I think by the way you fought today, I might be able to convince Birchstar to let all of you to go to the next gathering.” “Really?” Blossompaw, Sootpaw, and Bramblepaw said at once. “Bravefoot smiled, “Yes really.” And then he walked away. “I can’t wait I haven’t been to a gathering before!” Blossompaw said cheerfully. “I haven’t either” Sootpaw said. “I’ve been to one and their really fun. Littlepaw from Rain Clan was there and I thought he was pretty nice, for the fact he was from a different clan.” Bramblepaw said. The apprentices kept chattering away until they reached the camp. Sootpaw and Blossompaw headed for the medicine cat den, while Bramblepaw went to go get something to eat. “Oh! Hello there! I’m guessing you need that cut mended Sootpaw?” Speckledheart greeted them. “Yes, if that’s ok with you.” Sootpaw said. “Of  course it’s ok! It’s my job you know.” Speckledheart said as she started to chew up some dock leaves, “How did you get this cut anyways?” “There was a battle at the border of Night Clan. Blossompaw even tricked Duskclaw! That’s how we won actually.” Sootpaw answered. Sweetpaw who was sorted herbs in the back was startled by this news, but didn’t show it. “Well, that’s great for an apprentice. Sootpaw, I applied the dock, now don’t go licking it though, or it won’t heal.” Speckledflower said. “Don’t worry I won’t” Sootpaw said as he was getting up. As they left the den Birchstar called a meeting. “Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey come to me here beneath the tallstump to have a meeting” Birchstar yowled. “Today we have received news that there was a battle on the Night Clan border. Bravefoot said he remarked the borders, but make sure you’re extra careful when going over there. Congratulations to Blossompaw for tricking Duskclaw as well.” Shocked murmurs were whispered among the crowd about the battle and Blossompaw. “The meeting is now over” Birchstar announced. Many cats came up to Blossompaw to congratulate her, but Blossompaw wanted nothing to do with it. She pretended to be tired, and went to the Apprentice den to take a nap.