Chapter 11

Blossompaw was the first one up, aside from Goldenstream who was guarding the camp. She had went to check on the kits, but then she smelled a strange scent, she padded up to Goldenstream to ask her what it was. “Oh no! It’s a fox!” Goldenstream yowled after she smelled it too. Then a fox bounded into camp and headed straight towards Blossompaw. More and more cats started to wake up after Goldenstream’s yowl. Sootpaw and Bramblepaw joined Blossompaw in the battle against the first fox, while the other warriors battled against new foxes that just showed up. Grayfur and Cloudclaw were both battling a fox at the entrance of the nursery, “The kits!” Blossompaw thought.  Once the fox she had been battling ran away she ran towards the nursery and helped battle the fox, which was unusually big. Cloudclaw looked at her with a gracious look in her eyes. Blossompaw quickly went under the fox and slashed at its belly, then she slid back out. She jumped on top of the fox and kept clawing at it until the fox collapsed at her paws. “Thanks Blossompaw. That was good thinking.” Cloudclaw said approvingly, “Thanks Cloudclaw!” Blossompaw said, her mentor’s praise warming her up. Blossompaw scurried away to help Speckledheart and Sweetpaw since they were medicine cats they were having a hard time. Blossompaw did the same trick she did to the other fox. Soon enough all of the foxes were either dead or they ran away. Blossompaw sighed and began to lick some of the cuts the foxes gave her. “Blossompaw!” Blossompaw looked around then saw Sootpaw and Bramblepaw limping towards her. “Hi!” she said as they came up to her. “That was really smart of you to do that, I wish I had thought of doing that.” Bramblepaw nodded in agreement. “Thanks you guys. Should we see Speckledheart and Sweetpaw?” Blossompaw said while blushing. “Yeah that’s a good idea.” Bramblepaw agreed. Then the three apprentices headed over to Speckledheart and Sweetpaw. “Hello there! Just wait a moment while I tend to Nightwater. Blossompaw felt Sootpaw tense next to her. Nightwater was his father, but he never played with him and Darkpaw like Bravefoot did with her and Sweetpaw. “Ok Speckledheart.” Bramblepaw said. “Ok Nightwater, keep off that leg for a few nights then you can go back to hunting. Now you three come over. Sweetpaw you can treat your sister while I’ll help the other two.” “Yes, Speckledheart.” Sweetpaw padded up to Blossompaw with a bundle of herbs. “Let’s see, ok first I have to chew up this dock and put it on the scratches, now a little bit of comfrey, and that should be good.” Sweetpaw said quietly as she treated Blossompaw’s wounds. “Sweetpaw?” “Yes.” “What happened to Littlekit?” “Oh she’s fine. Daisyleaf was exaggerating a bit. As soon as we gave Littlekit the coltsfoot she was fine.” “That’s good news.” “Yes now go on I need to help the other cats, go get some sleep.” “I will thanks Sweetpaw.” Blossompaw went to the apprentice’s den and settled down for a nice deep sleep. “Blossompaw wake up” Blossompaw was startled, “Bravefoot? Is that you?”