Chapter 2

To Blossomkit everything was different. Instead of playing fun games like leaf- pounce she was laying on her back watching the clouds with Sweetkit. She knew Sweetkit meant well, but it was just too boring. She never got to talk with Sootpaw. He was always with Grayfur or with the apprentice Bramblepaw. She missed him so much. Swift-talon tried to comfort Blossomkit, but no matter how hard she tried it just wouldn’t work.

Sootpaw was having so much fun! He had been able to catch his own food and he made a new friend in Bramblepaw. Sure he missed Blossomkit, but Bramblepaw was just as fun! Grayfur was also really strong and he said that Sootpaw was doing great and that he wouldn’t be surprised if he became deputy someday!

Blossomkit’s father Bravefoot decided to step in. He was the deputy and knew he could find a way to help. He told Blossomkit that these things will just make her stronger. The more experiences that you have the better you will be. “Do you know why you were named Blossomkit?” Bravefoot asked. “No” Blossomkit admitted. “Well my mother was named Wildblossom. When I was an apprentice she saved me from a falling tree. That experience made me upset, but it also made me want to be able to defend myself better and it made me stronger. You were named after my mother who died to protect me.” Blossomkit loved hearing this, it meant she was going to be strong because of this, and she was special to her father.

A few days after Sootpaw’s apprentice ceremony Birchstar called another meeting. “Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey come to me here beneath the tallstump to have a meeting” Birchstar yowled. “I know that just a few days ago Sootpaw and Darkpaw became apprentices, but now we have another ceremony. Sparkpaw, come forward. I, Birchstar, leader of Flower Clan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn. Sparkpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your Clan, even at the cost of your life?” “I do” Sparkpaw said proudly. “Then by the powers of Star Clan, I give you your warrior name. Sparkpaw, from this moment you will be known as Sparkriver. Star Clan honors your speed and skill, and we welcome you as a full warrior of Flower Clan. Tonight you will sit vigil and guard the camp.” Sparkriver respectfully licked Birchstar’s shoulder and took her place in the middle of the camp as the other cats called out her name. Blossomkit was glad to see that Sootpaw wasn’t too excited or upset that she was becoming a warrior. Sparkriver’s mentor Silverfeather was very excited though and ran up to give Sparkriver congratulations. Swift-talon reminded Blossomkit that she would be able to stand on the tallstump in just a half-moon and quarter-moon. “Until then” Blossomkit thought, “I won’t be able to have much fun.”