ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 𝟷

~ ᴍᴀʏ ɪ sᴛᴀɴᴅ ᴜɴsʜᴀᴋᴇɴ
ᴀᴍɪᴅ, ᴀᴍɪᴅsᴛ ᴀ ᴄʀᴀsʜɪɴɢ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ

            Dutch van der Linde. The west's most feared gang leader. Quite the interesting fellow. He never knew what he was getting himself into sometimes. I remember joining the gang just a few months back. Picked me up in West Elizabeth after I lost my parents to the Skinner brothers. It was an insane night, Dutch came riding up with two of his boys. Can't recall their names, but they really did help me out. Asher Sanders, just a twenty one year old fellow with nothing but the best intentions for myself and whatever future I have coming my way. One of my best friends, Nathan Miller, just joined the gang alongside me. He's just as interesting, an amazing sense of humor on him though. Guess this is an unfortunate situation we've found ourselves in. Never thought we'd be in a gang. Suppose it is crazy how the world works. I've only really gotten to know a couple members of the gang. Arthur Morgan is my favorite, good heart on that one. Figuring he'd have a good life if he wasn't wrapped up in this shit as well. Charles Smith, he's half Native American and half African American. Got a good heart on him as well, really wrapped up in nature. Sadie Adler, god, the things I'd do to that woman. We've only slept together a couple times, she was married once, always tells me it goes against her marriage even though her husband is dead within the ground. Dutch doesn't approve of the whole 'sleeping within the gang situation', says we're all family and then it just makes it all weird for us. Sadie will think about that concept too and then I feel disgusted because it makes me feel like I'm violating a sister. Not uncommon in this country though, inbreeding has happened and I've seen it with my own two eyes. People who looked so fucked up, I'm surprised their sister mother's even love 'em.

      Nate and I are sitting under a tree at our current camp, Horseshoe Overlook. Not much to do here, Valentine ain't far but there's never much to do there either. Dutch would probably tell us to go snoop around there soon enough, we aren't too trusted to do much outside of camp, usually you can find us fucking around in town, getting drunk, accidentally hitting people with our horses and being chased outta the town by the law. Doesn't mean we meant it but sometimes, it just happens. "Ya know, sometimes I wish I had a girl I could be sweet on and not ever let her go. But it's hard to find a girl who really wants that type of commitment these days." I say to Nathan while I'm staring off at the mountain off in the distance. Never had one girl work out, prostitutes are only so fun when you want 'em to be that way. Me? Shit, I don't know anything about no relationship and Nate and I know we'd run out on this gang in a heartbeat if it came down to it.
"Women ain't never gonna be interested in no outlaws. They know better. We could be the most handsome fellows standing in a bar and they'd come up, speak a little, drink a little whiskey, then turn right on their tails when we tell 'em we're in some gang. They know what we are, Ash. Nothin' but trouble. You can be sweet on her the moment you meet her but hell, the moment she hear you got your face plastered on some 'Wanted' poster and a big bounty on ya head in the next county, she's gonna just leave you in the dust."

He wasn't wrong neither. Sometimes, swore up and down Nathan knew some stuff about love that I didn't. Wish I knew half the things he did, might make this a little easier.

"Unfortunately, you're right partner. Downright. Guess sometimes I just wish we'd have things goin' our way. Want me a girl, marry her, start a family, stupid talk though." Felt foolish to admit such a thing when Nathan and I were caught up in this mess now.
"Ain't no stupid talk. Means you still got a workin' heart, not gone cold yet like half these boys walkin' 'round us. I mean, what about Sadie? You sweet on her right?"
My dark hues drift over to the blonde who has her eye looking straight down her shotgun barrel, she could die doing that and yet, she has no fear. Still shy in a sense but not when the tent is zipped up.
"Nah, not so sweet on her. I might have lay with her time to time, but that girl is only looking for a good fuck 'cause she's lonely after losing her husband and shit."
Nate just laughs, he knows I'd never be sweet on Sadie. Plus, he knows Dutch has creeped us out due to the whole "family" and "brothers and sisters" talk.
"Kind of figured you wouldn't like Sadie like that anymore. She a loud one though, tell ya that!"
"Not as loud as I've heard Abigail used to be!"

     We start laughing now, if John heard us bad mouthing his wife right now, we'd have a revolver straight between our eyes. Not like it would matter though, Abigail used to be a prostitute to the other men in the gang. Then apparently John got her pregnant and he fled first year of their sons life. Swearing up and down Jack isn't his. We know all the stories from way back in the day, little sad. Jack ain't a bad kid. Abigail loves him to death. We enjoy hearing their disputes within camp sometimes, just a sour "marriage" with a child in between. My worst fear.

"Boys! Nate, Asher, get over here!" Now seems like our chance to shine. Eye contact is made before we're quick to step up and head over to Dutch's tent. We're almost like soldiers when it came to this man's requests. Everyone practically was.
"What's going on Dutch?"
I question as my hands are placed within my pockets in a rather nervous manner.
"Need you boys to head into town, pick up some supplies Arthur couldn't get back here himself. He'll be down there waiting, just make sure you get everythin' and no running down people with your horses. Tired of hearing 'bout the law being on your tails."
Disapproval irks his features before we nod to him. We'll know better.
"Arthur should be getting some drinks in the saloon. Feel free to do so with him but remember what I'm telling you boys, no funny business."
We both nod once more. With that, he shoos us away.

"Should be interestin' don't you think?" I question while we're walking towards our tied up horses. I own a shire named Luka, pure black with a little brown upon his chest region, Nate has his own named Spookey, a beautiful white and black Arabian breed. Beautiful horse and he goes super fast on that thing.
"Mr. Morgan is probably gonna be a little upset to see us comin' down there to help him. Probably would prefer Javier or Charles."
I nod in agreement as I'm throwing my reins over my horse and stepping on and over the saddle.
"Let's get goin', boy."
With that we were off and on our way to the town of Valentine. It's an odd place, people speak on odd things. But who would we be to judge a place like that when we're just as strange ourselves?