ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 𝟹𝟺

~ 4 months later

Challenger Ranch, 1899

         Christmas is almost upon us here. Crazy to think that we've made it this far into the future since we fled from Dutch's Gang. Guess it's been a while since I've even taken the time to write in here too. Last time was back in Lakay. Overall, Beaver Hollow wasn't much to write about anyhow. It was nothing but a shit show. Dutch.... He went mad. We know he did. Arthur though, he helped us get outta there. Gave me his old hat too, told me to do right by my woman, my friend, and my child. He--- Died that day too, later that night actually. Probably from his TB. Just remember this utterly empty feeling that morning, I had been shot too. Shot by Selina's former fiance, Buck. Fucker. He lost again and this time around, he lost his life. Asshole is sucken down near Van Horn within the water. Swimmin' with the fishes as they say. Abigail got out alive, Sadie, Tilly, as far as I know those were the ones whom were worth saving. Don't know about John or anything, had heard a rumor though that he did live and Dutch lied because he was so blinded by everything else. Guess himself and her had sat there and ran off somewhere in search of a better life with their son. Hard to say really, Dutch hadn't gone after them I don't think. All I had heard with people like Micah, Bill, damn, even Javier had run off with him. Couldn't imagine what that all did mean for them but I hoped that the future is kind to them.
I GOT MARRIED THOUGH.
Selina and I tied the knot right after leaving and getting back to Blackwater. It was amazing and I knew Arthur had to be looking down on us that day. Months have gone by, Selina is as big as a pig after a good meal, no disrespect in that sense. Baby should be here real soon. She keeps complaining about slight pains. Everything in between. Shit is hurting I guess, but still, no child yet. Doctor said we got about another week or two, midwife in Strawberry is nearby in case we need her. Her stomach, seriously is massive. Baby has to be comin' soon. I just feel it and I know she does too. She's uncomfortable nowadays too, can't sleep much. She's pushing through though. Still the strong woman of an outlaw. Only time I can tell she's going through something is when she ends up leaning over something and just let's her middle hang for a moment. She'll shake her head a little and but then get up and continue about her day. She's doing good. She'll be okay.
Nathan and Lauren got married a couple months back as well. Mostly 'cause they slept together and a month later it came to the surface that she was expecting a child for them. Nate was a little nervous to start, didn't talk much about it. Now though, he was all over the idea of being a father. Hoped he'd stay like that. We fixed up our guest house for them down the other side of the ranch. Hoping it is good enough for them to raise their family.

                I wrap up my journal once more before I stand from my spot. Placing the book back upon the small desk Selina and I had within our room before I'm headed out and down our stairs. I see Selina leaning over something and once more, she's cringing within pain. "Ah, my love. At it again? The pain?" She nods for the moment as she's just trying to get through this, just trying to keep her breath in a normal pattern. I hear her sharp inhale and exhale before she leans back up, deep sigh running through her. "This baby couldn't come soon enough, let me tell you. Gettin' mighty sick of this right now."
"Body is just doing the natural thing, darlin'. You'll be okay. Just keep workin' through the pain, sure it'll be worse when he does come."
"Pain is just intense. Here I was thinkin' being shot was worse."
"Selina--- You were shot once and it weren't even that bad. Take me for example. Either shoulders been shot, leg, shit--- Even my face been shot too. Thankfully not dead shot but ya know."

We never talked much on Selina's little encounter, Nightfolk out in the Bayou Nwa area. She doesn't like talking about it either, needless to say, they had come after her when she noticed a man hanging from a tree. Thank god for Sadie being with her, but guess 'bout four of them came after the both of them. One of them ending up with a gun and shooting Selina right on her left side. Thankfully, not harmful to the baby at all, bullet seemed to just graze the skin just like it had upon my nose in Shady Belle. She claimed that was some of the worst burning pain she had felt.
"Guess you're right, lover boy. Suppose so. Where are you off to though? Seein' you all dressed up a bit."
"Think Nathan and I are gonna go pay Arthur a visit. Got a letter couple days back from our old gang alias. The one who paid off our bounty, said he's been buried up near Bacchus bridge and station."
"Kinda long ride for you to be takin' right now, with this baby comin' here soon and all." She mutters with worry as she allows her hands to rest on her abdomen.
"We'll be back before you know it Sel, you tellin' me that this baby gonna come within the one and half days we's gonna be gone? He hasn't come yet, don't think he'll be comin' for at least another few days."
She rolls her eyes at me before I give her a smirk. "You gonna give me attitude, Selina Sanders?" Her eyes come back to rest upon me before she laughs a bit. "Guess not, Asher Sanders. But I'll be sending Lauren if anything ends up happenin' then you better get your sweet ass back here. I ain't havin' this baby alone."
"Didn't make 'em alone, ain't gonna have 'em alone okay, sweets?"
"You're nasty--- Get goin' okay? You come back to me safe though."
"Swear on it Selina. Swear on it."

I head out of the house where Nathan is waiting upon Spookey, "Hey, partner. Ready to head on up."
"Yeah. Let's get goin', Selina seems to think this baby is gonna be comin' real soon. Might need to hurry it up."
"No, no worries. We'll get done with it as quick as we can so you can be on back here for it."

I nod my head, Lauren is walking past before she gives us a wave. "Be careful, fellas. Get back safe to us ladies now."
"Ain't no trouble my love! See you day after tomorrow!"

I hop onto Luka and we're off like two bats outta hell. On our way through the mountains and the rivers, all just to get to New Hanover to see an old friend.