ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 𝟺𝟹

~ Asher Sanders - POV

     Thank god Sadie was here to help us out. It was nice to have her back and talking to us about everything. The kids were out in the field. Playing one of their little games, Lauren is out there too to watch so all of us who was in the gang before could talk on the porch without Arthur and his millions of questions.
"Saw John the other day."
"John Marston?"
"Yeah... Arthur got him out too. Said that Dutch left him for dead, didn't even bother to come look for him like he claimed that day at the robbery. Basically what he did to you in Lakay." I could only shake my head at the thought. Dutch really didn't give a fuck about any of us towards the end, the ones who had hearts that is. "He was prepared to make Jack an orphan. Don't know if Ash ever told you, Sel. Back in the day though, when we came to save you guys at Van Horn. Fuckin' Dutch, he called you guys 'just women'. Shit was hard to hear, because he had been concerned all the way up to that point."
Selina just shakes her head as she takes another sip of her water she had within her cup. I didn't tell her that back then 'cause I knew she would've wanted to go after Dutch right in that moment. Knowing he was very well prepared to let her die and our first son too.
"As for Dutch now, I don't know where he is. Hear all sorts of things, he fled back up to Colter, he went up to the Grizzlies east. He's in Cumberland Forest. Just no in between it seems."
"You ever think he'd come for us?" I ask nervously before Sadie shakes her head. "No... Micah though. Yeah. 'Cause he's so stuck in the past. I know that's why you called me here today." I just nod my head, she could see the healing injuries upon my face. The black and blue skin that was still there by my eyes. Nose wasn't too bad thankfully and the beard masked any bruises under my chin. "I've been trying to track down Micah for a while. I know we need to end this, finish what Arthur started. I just can't believe he came for you... I mean shit, you're just like Arthur now. Nice family, respectable career, house. You did everything I know he wanted and you have just as pure as heart as him too." I simply shake my head as I'm putting my arm up so I can have it position behind Selina. Nathan is puffing away on a cigarette. "Seriously, you both did good here. Did right by your women, got five kids between the two of you--- Mean five in a half. God, and your boys, they're gonna grow up to be fine men. All three of them."
"Sadie, tell me, you think Selina is going have another boy? Or a girl?" Nathan asks with the cigarette between his teeth.
Sadie looks over before she tilts her head slightly. "Well, if I had any bets, I'd say it's a girl. Belly seems different." Selina rolls her eyes, with a deep sigh as well as a laugh passing her lips. "Thank you! She don't believe me!" He shakes his head as I'm shaking mine too. "Toss me one would you, Nathan." I remove my arm from behind Selina before turning so I could light my own cigarette. I take a drag before I look up at Sadie. "So what we gonna do about Micah?"
"Well, I've been talkin' to John, secretly 'cause Abigail wants this to be over. Which I'm sure Selina does too--- But, I think we need to go and get him. Heard 'bout that Cleet guy, he's been seen up near Strawberry. Might be why Micah was down here in the first place. Gonna need one of you to come with me."
"I can't... Think I'd rather stay with the women and kids then go out and see Micah." Nathan speaks as he's flicking ash off his cigarette. "Well---"
"I can't obviously, I'm pregnant. Don't have that kind of time anymore."
"Still got the fire in your eyes though, Sel. You do. I can see it, both of you. All of you. The fire is still there."
"Trust me, Sadie. If I wasn't pregnant, I would've gone after Micah myself. But--- As usual. Asher over here has me laid up all the time." She jokes as she nudging my ribs slightly which I cringe. "Sorry... I forget he got you there too."
"No--- It's okay, darlin'. Quite fine."
"Well, Asher... What 'bout you?"
"I don't know, Sadie. I wanna be different. I know I still got it in me but--- I got my wife here, my boys--- I just don't know if I wanna risk my life again."
"Micah--- Will not hesitate to take this away from you Asher. You said it yourself in your letter, you fuckin' think he'll come for you regardless."
"I do, Sadie but--- Listen Selina and I had a disagreement just the other night... I don't wanna lose her over this."
"Selina please."
"Okay--- You know I have thought about this since him and I did fight. I think you need to, Asher. One last time, you, John, Sadie, and Charles. If I wasn't pregnant right now... I wouldn't hesitate. Anything to save this family. Anything."
I have this pleading look in my eyes, but her green hues just keep me on the ground for the moment and I can tell she's being serious. "Asher... Come on, boy. You know you want to."
"I don't know Sadie. I don't know. I just don't think it's right for me." I mutter as I'm standing now, taking a drag of my cigarette. She was drinking a beer and I hear her muttering to Nathan for him to give her his bottle. "Ash--- If you miss these bottles, or if you choose not to shoot 'em. Then I'll understand, John, Charles and I will go it alone. But if you have any fire still there... That outlaw in there still. You'll go after these bottles."
I swallow harshly as I place my cigarette between my lips, puffing some smoke from my mouth as my eyes direct down for the moment. "C'mon, Asher..." I hear her whisper a bit before I look up for the moment and I'm seeing flashes of myself and everything I used to be back then. Selina knew I still had that itch for that life right now. I wasn't getting any younger. I knew I wasn't. A deep inhale like Arthur had taught me.

Always pull the trigger--- On empty lungs.

Voice is as clear as day, the smoke that had come into my mouth when I breathed in, I let out before quickly turning around. Both of my revolvers within my hand and I'm shooting either bottle with both bullets. Sadie looks shocked  in that moment, Nathan is wide eyed, and Selina is just holding her abdomen like I just scared her and the baby. "Fine... Mrs. Adler. I'll come with you."
"Jesus fuckin' christ boy! You just scared the hell outta me."
I give them a smirk and look back to see Arthur and Oliver standing there. "Wow! Arthur, your pa's the coolest!" My son seems prideful and I can tell. I'm tossing my cigarette on the ground and stomping it out before heading inside for a moment. Coming back out to see the three of them still recovering. "What's the plan then?"
"Well, I know you haven't seen John or Abigail in  awhile. They been asking if I've seen you guys yet anyway, think it's time for a little reunion. Least if Micah does come sniffing around here, you guys won't be here for it."
"Who's gonna watch all of our animals?"
"I know a guy. I'll get him out here for you guys. He'll do his best to defend if needed."
I nod my head to her before sigh deeply. "When we goin'?"
"Tomorrow mornin'?"
"Alright, Sadie Adler. You wanna stay here tonight? We got room on the couch."
"Guess it wouldn't hurt. Thank you guys."