ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 𝟸

The ride to town wasn't all bad, no bad weather today so it was rather peaceful for us. Getting out of the camp was always nice, tired of doing chores and when we weren't doing that we were either on look out duty or sitting around, waiting for the stew to be done.
     It was just nice and beautiful for us being out, but Valentine was muddy as hell and of course it meant the horses were going to need a good brushing by the time we got back to camp. Nasty place with some nasty people from time-to-time. We ride through past the first saloon, thinking Arthur has to be within the main one within the actual town. Catching eye of Arthur's horse. I nod my head towards the nearest hitching post where we hitch Spookey and Luka. Getting down as we're brushing ourselves off. From the looks of the supplies Arthur did have, it was mostly food items and different bedding and perhaps some stuff Dutch had requested. We're walking through the middle of the road, making sure to avoid anyone and anything that was coming towards us. We needed to keep our noses clean here. Tipping our hats at nearby women and men, we stepped within the swinging doors as the entire population of this saloon looked at us. Arthur's raspy voice is quick to come through.
"Ah, there ya boys are. Finally, here I was thinkin' you boys gone and got yourselves lost out there in the wilderness." His hearty laugh was enough to make us both laugh as well.
"Listen, why don't you guys go and get yourselves cleaned up by the barber over there. Get some fresh haircuts, clean up that facial hair. Look good, don't need to head back to camp right now, all on me, alright?"
We're surprised honestly, here we never thought Arthur would spare even a cent of his limited money for us.

"Shit, thanks Mr. Morgan."

     We're quick to walk up to him and take the money he was willing to offer. I guess in a sense, we didn't know it was for some sort of reason or another. He wouldn't do this out of the goodness of his heart, at least, we wouldn't believe he would. Probably cleaning us up for a bank job, makes us look like wealthy sons of a rich old man. Something like that. I got my hair swept back, faded on the sides. Nice and clean with some pomade, Nate, kept the longer look but trimmed some off. He looked good like that. Facial hair wise, I liked what I had but chose to give it a little trim for that "cleaning it up" sake. Nate went with the nearly clean shaven look. Arthur was a master of having long beards and hair, though, once and awhile, he'd just surprise us with his new look every so often. We're stepping out of those chairs, my eyes connect with Arthur's. He tilts his head in the direction of the other side of the bar. Didn't get him at first before he raises his brows and does it once more. I narrow my eyebrows before he leans down a bit and I see her. Wow, did I see her good too. There was this beautiful woman standing on the other side. Men were looking her up and down but the next thing I know, she's staring at me too. My heart drops when she smiles and I can't help but smile as well. Arthur gives a chuckle as he's taking a shot of whiskey. Nathan notices her too but he doesn't seem to be interested. He can tell I am though, soon to push me forward a bit. "Get on over there, shy shannon. Go give the girl a drink and smile up close." I'm nervous, it had been months since I had tried to speak to a girl within the town. She was cute though, very beautiful for a girl of Valentine's standards.
I step closer to her and I finally see those beautiful, jade colored eyes. Her eyes are the green of the angels grass up in heaven. She has the most amazing smile I had ever seen, enough to make my tough exterior melt within itself.
"Um, good day miss. I--- I'm---" I clear my throat for a moment and she giggles, I could hear that for the rest of my life.
"Shy one huh? Want me to introduce myself first?"
I just shake my head. "You're just beautiful, seem to have lost my words."
"Think you're the first guy to tell me that here? Well, you've been beaten to the punch multiple times, but--- With you, I really like hearin' that."
I blink a couple times before connecting eyes with Arthur and Nathan who gives me a thumbs up.

"I'm Asher S--- Smitty. Yeah, Asher Smitty."
"Asher Smitty huh? Feels like you forgot your surname there for a moment, Mr. Smitty."
"It's actually Sanders but.... It's a long story."
"We all got long stories, Mr. Sanders. No need to lie to a lady like me. Selina Hinton."

That's a bit of an exotic name, made me curious as to what state she was from and what city. She wasn't dressed like most of the dames in Valentine, more of a rich sense to it.
"Pleasure to make your acquaintance Ms. Hinton." I mutter before taking her hand up within my own and giving it a gentle peck. She smiles before she gives me a look for a moment.

"My future husband wouldn't like anything about this... He's off in the Army though. Not sure if it's worth the trouble anymore."
"Future husband? My god, why didn't you say anything? You just a whore who likes the attention?"

There goes that bad side of me, though, she doesn't seem phased by the name calling, she always seems to fill with lust even more.

"Some might say so. Him and I... Don't think it will last. We don't write no more, nothing seems to be adding up on his end. Did just send him a letter this morning with the engagement ring and a goodbye. Good riddance to that bad business."
"So... You're not marryin' no one?"
"No, Mr. Sanders. I'm not."

I breathe a sigh of relief at that moment. Here I was waiting for an angry army man storming in and punching me into next year.
"I apologize for my bad mouth then Ms. Hinton. Not correct of me to speak to a lady in such a manner."
"Just call me Sel, Asher."
"Sel? Selina... Cute nickname. I like that, we can stick to that."

Arthur soon approached me, "Alright, Asher, we're gonna be heading back to camp. You comin' or no?"

I look right back at the girl in front of me, her green hues are so tempting and almost drawing me in. "Um... No. Think I'll stay here a while and get to know Ms. Hin... I mean Selina here."

He gives me a pat on my shoulder as well as a wink before he leads Nathan out who looks at me then at Selina with no words are said. I knew I was in deep shit now with this girl. She was so attractive and so tempting to me, I felt as though I had never met a more beautiful lady in my entire life. I was beginning to feel feelings that I would regret feeling in the morning, but for now, I would enjoy her company and make her never forget me.